Saturday, April 14, 2012

Another Letter from Grandma

Been kind of slow on here for a few days. Some weeks are like that. I had a very busy week - we had a "science night" at school last night, one of those PR things that the students just love but that takes a lot of prep work. So I've not been thinking about much else for several days.

You may remember that a few months ago I posted an old letter from Grandma and mentioned that I had a couple of them that would make good posts. Here is another one. She wrote it to me the summer before my senior year in high school; apparently my siblings and mom had been in Illinois but Dad and I had not come. I had taken a course at the junior college that summer and that is what she refers to partway through the letter. It's a typical newsy Grandma letter. I hope you enjoy it.

Gridley, Ill.
July 17, 1974
Dear Ann,

Not another day shall go by without a letter to you. Your mom and dad told me you might come up for a visit in the near future. I want you to be sure and know I am looking forward to seeing you and hope this time you really get to stay once. I hear you were sick while you were home alone with your dad. Then I also had a letter from Rhoda and she said most of the family had the flu when they got home from Ill. I was so glad they arrived home safe and sound.

I think the two girls had a good time with us over the 4th. Mary had a little bad luck but she was so good about it and tried to hobble along wherever we went. Most of the time she had to lie on the bed with ice packs on her foot, and swimming was out for her after the first afternoon, but she never complained. She just kept saying to me "Everyone is so good and nice to me."

Tell your mom that it was in my paper this morning that Emma Weyeneth died. She was at the home in Peoria and your mom saw her there.

It is still very hot up here and we don't get any rain. Some kids are now getting called to come to work in the fields detasseling corn. Mark had thought about doing it. Lots of kids always do it but I always feel sorry for everyone that does it. I think it is a miserable job. Especially for girls. Alice did it but I never did let Ada do it. I guess I always did shelter her as she was my baby.

Perry & Carol are soon going to be moving to Gridley. I already knew it for several weeks but they still didn't want me to tell it but now it's no secret any more. He has a new job and will be working in Pontiac. The company he will work for is paying for a moving van to move them down here so there should be no problem in that. Carol will have to change doctors as soon as she can as her baby is due by the end of Sept. and they will be down here by then.

Catherine and Cathy are both spending the week with Ralph in Chicago. Cathy started to work in the office for Ralph on Monday. She will probably work as much as she can until school starts. Ralph can always keep everybody busy as he believes in work.

I have a few beans to can and I must get busy at them. I get up at 6 o'clock and still the day is not long enough for me. I can always find so many things to do.

What were your classes like this summer? Did you think it worth your time? I hope so. Let me know if and when you are coming and also tell me some of the things you would like to do. I think we will have a good time anyway if you can stand it for a few days around your Grandma. She loves you very much as I do all my grandchildren. I have always thought there are no others that compare with them and they are very dear to me.

See you soon hopefully and if the Lord willing, Grandma.

7 comments:

Perry said...

Thanks for posting the letter! It was fun to read. We moved in August and Charity was born September 11. That seems like such a long time ago to me. I can "relate" to Mother's sentiment about her grandchildren. I know your visits were very precious to her. ---Carol

Nog Blog said...

Priceless, Ann! Thanks for sharing. Good memories.

Ada said...

It's amazing that you kept her letters - and thanks for sharing them with us now. She's right - I begged to detassel and she wouldn't let me. Made me mad, but she was right - I wouldn't have made it through the day!!

Was that the summer we had a family vacation in Champaign and Mary got stung by a bee the first day?

rk2 said...

Ada, yes that's what I'm thinking about Mary. I remember the bee sting and how swollen her foot was. We went to Arthur to an Amish settlement if I remember correctly.

What an interesting letter. I can hear Grandma talking through her words.

Ann, thanks for taking the time to type this out.

MaryM said...

I remember the bee sting - can still picture the little area filled with clover and a bee stinging me. I'm glad to know all these years later that I didn't complain. : ) It was a fun few days, and Rhoda and I felt very special to have that time with Grandma and the aunts, uncles & cousins.

clevekath said...

Thanks, Ann, for posting. I lived at Grandma's for 2 summers during college and she did indeed get up at 6 a.m. every morning and stayed busy all day. She was also my most faithful letter-writer while I was in the Army, and espcially while in Vietnam.

clevekath said...

Thanks, Ann, for posting. I lived at Grandma's for 2 summers during college and she did indeed get up at 6 a.m. every morning and stayed busy all day. She was also my most faithful letter-writer while I was in the Army, and espcially while in Vietnam.