Thursday, August 11, 2011

Random Pics from a Michigan Summer

Nothing very profound or nostalgic, but a few very random pictures from my summer.
This is a washcloth that has been missing for several years. Surprise, surprise, when I had to replace my dryer earlier in the summer there it was. I was so disappointed when I couldn't find it all those years because I couldn't find another bright one to match the set in my guest bathroom!


On the way back from Jaimie's wedding I watched this piece of luggage getting loaded and was so relieved I didn't check any bags on that trip! One of the bag guys tried very hard to get it zipped and finally just sent it up the belt. I've had so many issues with luggage and flight issues through the years, it was kind of nice to know I wasn't the one with the problem.



Last week I went blueberry picking. This has not been a good year for them, but there were a few nice bunches.


An hour and a half later I had these 9 lbs. Some went into a pie and some went into muffins. Tonight or tomorrow I'd like to try a blueberry pound cake that was on the recipe sheet the blueberry farm gives out, and the rest are in the freezer. 


Just ended a few wonderful days with Haley visiting. Most of the time I forgot my camera, but this was from Tuesday evening when we got sushi and had a picnic at the beach. 


Last night we went fishing at a lake where some friends live. We both caught our fair share of blue gill and bass.



6 comments:

Ann said...

That's a nice-looking pan of blueberries!

I know you're supposed to freeze blueberries without washing them. But then last night I read that you're supposed to put frozen berries straight from the freezer into muffins or whatever you're making. So do they never get washed?

rk2 said...

Good question. I rinse them when they thaw.

marym said...

Haley had a great time with you - thanks! Isn't it nice to have the Mystery of the Missing Washcloth solved. This week while cleaning out a kitchen cabinet I found the missing piece for my bread maker so I can FINALLY make bread in it! Gonna try it this morning!

Nog Blog said...

Glad to see Haley is doing well. And the beach looked inviting. AND couldn't you rinse the blueberries when they are still frozen?

Ann said...

Doesn't that thaw them out or put too much moisture in whatever you're baking? Just asking. Probably ignorant of me not to know.

Nog Blog said...

Well, I googled "washing frozen blueberries" and all I got was "everything is washed at the factory before it is frozen." Apparently no one picks fresh berries. Check out this comment on Google: "Nah, I wouldn't, but then I don't really wash anything including fresh fruit, veg and greens, unless it has obvious dirt or sand or something. I'm not dead yet."