Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rude...or not so rude...that is the question.

I think I've posted on here before that I have to watch myself while shopping so I don't get snippy with public around me. I think I've been doing better, since I don't work nights anymore...well, except for that Sears clerk last week. All I had was one item, and the check-out process was absolutely laborious.
"Would you like this on your Sears card?"
"No, I'm just paying cash."
"Do you have a Sears card?"
"Yes, but not with me. I'm just paying cash."
"I can look up your number for you."
"No, thank you."
"If you pay with a credit card today you can save 15%."
"NO! I'm paying cash!"
"I see you are not on our Star Rewards program..."
"I JUST WANT TO PAY AND GO, PLEASE!"

I guess that was getting a little snippy. And I probably shouldn't have added, "Why do you not have more merchandise in this store? Look at all this empty space in here!"

She looked at me as if I was terribly rude.

Today I just slightly jumped in front of somebody in the check-out line at Walmart. Seriously, you can't leave your cart up there like you're going to get in line, and then wander around all the displays surrounding the check-out area. She was on the phone and didn't seem to mind...so I'm not counting that as rude.

Tomorrow I'll post a wonderful Easter video...

6 comments:

rk2 said...

This is so funny--I can totally identify with the checkout experience although so often for me it's with telemarketers.

At least you admit to being rude. Most people see others as rude, but when they are it's justified or really not rude after all.

Ada said...

I agree with Rhoda - very funny story. I can just "see" you at that checkout line. Can't believe I actually let the lady at Penny's sign me up for a card last week when I bought some new clothes for Jerry. The 15% savings was just enough to sway me. However I was able to resist yesterday at Pier One.

Nog Blog said...

I wanted to say, if I wanted to save me some money, I'd put these shoes back!

LynnK said...

Yeah....the "sign up" "deal" is next door to a scam in my viewpoint. I fell for it at Belk's recently. Ironically, we returned the purchase and now after going through the mechanics of application for the credit card, we don't need or use it!!!

rk2 said...

The scam though is also for the employees. They are pressured to get people to sign up for the cards with incentives such as bonuses, etc. My friend's son didn't like pressuring people so he didn't sign up many people for the cards a national retailer for which he worked. As a result, he was given fewer hours and was told directly when he sold more cards he'd get more hours as a cashier.

While getting asked bugs me, I do try to remember that the clerk is caught in the middle between customers who hate being asked and managers, etc. who want people signing up for cards.

Nog Blog said...

I did think that...she is just doing her job.