Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2011 Snowstorm

Dave just called me with an update...he is on the day shift, thankfully, this week. His shift is from 7 am to 7 pm for snow removal. His route was Interstate 55 from Blm to Chenoa. He called last night about 6 and said his plow was in the ditch. He was waiting for another truck to come pull him out, and he would be sleeping at the shed all night (in his truck). He called at 8 pm and said he was still waiting and it would likely be hours, as there were 8 snow plows stuck in the snow. I finally heard from him that they were abandoning the plows and were being picked up and returned to the shed. Now I got a call this morning (7:45) that his plow has made it back to the shed, and he was heading out for Day 3. It is dangerous out there.

I hope all of you are safe and sound, warm and toasty inside. I know Jerry and Ada braved it home and made it just before the heavy snow and white-outs started. Angela and Jerry were without heat for a time, as Facebook reported.

Enjoy your day!

3 comments:

rk2 said...

We got about 15" of snow here with the huge wind gusts.

I made it in to work this morning. Last night I stayed at Renae's as my company has shut down only once or twice in 24+ years, and they have a very large 4 wheel drive truck that she said they would make sure I got to work if at possible. I didn't want to be forced into taking a vacation day or time off without pay.

I had some trouble getting off Renae's road in my CRV onto 72nd which had just been plowed, but after a few tries I made it. Renae was going to drive me, but she would have to drive back home which would mean twice the time on the road and then come back to get me so I ventured out on my own. Her husband is staying over to work first shift since so many people didn't show up.

Thankfully there is no traffic on the roads so I could keep moving and didn't have to worry if a car was coming. I was the only "car" on the road--passed several snow plows (county and private) and a couple of semis but no other private vehicles.

A guy just walked in so we are the only two people in this area of offices (2 stories probably 150 offices). A couple of IT people walked through just to see who made it in.

Thanks to all my central IL relatives for sending this weather this way!

Alice said...

We are safe and warm, but surely snowed in. We have such huge drifts at the front and back doors that we couldn't get out if we had to. The driveway has huge drifts too. We hope the man who cleans our drive will come sometime today. We have nowhere to go, but it makes you feel better if you know you could get out if you had to. The drifts are at least 3 feet high. I don't know where he will put the snow when he plows it out.
We've had no power outage so far.

Anonymous said...

We were starting to get cold, but Jerry talked with a furnace repair guy who suggested a fix that is temporary. So, the house warmed up, and we've been just stuck in here ever since. The driveway is clear now, and the sun is out, so it sorta feels like it's "over" now...