Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Stunned

Heard a sad statement today at lunch. Someone I work with had the house their son was renting from them gutted by fire last week. As the firefighters were confirming the fire had been put completely out, they stumbled across marijuana plants, a meth lab and some illegal weapons. The son was arrested and is in jail without bond. The man was asked today if he was upset with his son for his actions. The response: "I'm not upset with my son. He's my boy. I'm upset that he was caught and that everybody is making an issue of it. The firefighters had no right to dig for that stuff."

I was stunned with this response. I think I now understand why the son did what he did, no boundaries or consequences from his father. I am thankful for the values of my family and the fact that we were held accountable for our actions growing up. We knew that even though mom and dad, grandpa and grandma or others loved us, they would be disappointed in us for our sinful actions and there would be accountability. I wish that would have been enough to stop me from doing some of the things I did, but when I did there were consequences.

Thank you to my family for this heritage that I strive to pass on to my children.

EDK

2 comments:

Nog Blog said...

Thanks, Eric!

Ann said...

Many people these days just don't think the way we were taught. A man told Mike not long ago, "No, I'm not going to look for a job - why should I when I can draw good money from unemployment?" We weren't raised that way. I'm thankful for the heritage of learning to be responsible and to work.