Monday, November 29, 2010

Update from White Squirrel Country

Well, once again it has been way too long since I posted on the blog. I enjoy reading others posts and I am disappointed when it goes a couple days an no one has added a new post. However, I don't take action and post and I guess I should. Yes, as the title says, I am blogging from the home of the elusive White Squirrel. On Saturday, before heading to Mom and Dad's for Thanksgiving we stopped by the local library and observed 4 white squirrels playing in the open lot behind the library (where they are heartily feed all winter).

What's been going on in our lives, well a bunch, but not much at the same time. We are settled into Olney now and have developed many new friendships. We're "popular" again and although I hate to admit it, it's nice to feel wanted again. The kids continue with home school, but some changes are coming with that too. Chris will be starting at the High School in the spring semester where he will take Biology and Composition/Lit. He will do the remaining subjects at home. Adrian, who is 16, will actually have enough credits to graduate from High School at the end of this year, but has decided to take her official "Senior" year at the High School. She will be taking dual credit courses that will count towards her Junior College credits and she is excited that she will get to "graduate" next year. Amber hasn't requested to go to school yet, but she does have a new boyfriend from church. She has been going to the basketball games to watch him play in the band. Retta and I continue to be involved in ministries at our church, Mt. Gilead. We teach an Adult Sunday School class together, help with the youth groups "Wednesday Night Pulse", Retta, Adrian & Amber sing on the worship team, and I've recently been appointed chairman of the Missions committee. So we manage to keep very busy around there.

My work situation is the same here as everywhere in the automotive industry that I've worked. Long hours, a lot of stress, constant change and not much job security. I go through a bottle of tums every two weeks and I normally put in 12~13 hours a day and get phone calls until 10 or 11 at night, but so goes the job. Life goes on and I try to deal with it the best I can.

A week ago, we held a special Thanksgiving Service at Mt. Gilead Church and I was asked by the Pastor to give a "God Sighting". The "God Sightings" are something we normally do one Sunday of every month, where people in the congregation are given the opportunity to share their "God Sightings", or in other words, ways they have seen God move in their everyday lives. For this service, it was an extended version, with 6 of us giving extended testimonies. The entire service is posted on the Mt. Gilead Website (HERE), but I have cropped out my portion and placed it (here) for you if you want to listen to it. It's an MP3 file that can be listened to online or downloaded and played on an MP3, etc. It's about 15 minutes in length. I'm borrowing space on another website to post it, so it won't be there forever, probably a couple weeks. My God Sighting is a summary of the past 2 years in the life of our family. I hope you'll listen and praise God with us for all He has done for us in the past 2 years.

Well, that's probably enough from me right now as I've taken up quite a bit of space on the blog. I promise I'll update more often and not be as long winded at today.

EDK

4 comments:

Carol said...

Eric, I was very interested to hear you describe all you've been through in the past couple of years. That Iowa job sounds tempting to me, but it's a decision only you can make. When you've found a community of friends where you feel at home, it would be difficult to "start over." Plus Iowa doesn't have very nice winters. :)

Nog Blog said...

Eric, I enjoyed listening to your talk. You did a good job writing it and holding it together delivering it. I know it's been a rough couple of years. Now, I've been praying for a nice, sane, Christian job for you...but I know you are grounded in your faith, so I'll have to go with your decision to be the Christian in the workplace where you are right now. I'm so glad you've found a church that is a good fit for you and your family. Thanks for sharing!

rk2 said...

I enjoyed listening as well. So glad you've found such a wonderful home for your family.

Ann said...

I listened to your talk the other night and appreciated it also.