Friday, September 3, 2010

Recovering...

My surgery took place yesterday as planned, and I am now home resting and recovering. It was pretty much an all-day affair with a nuclear medicine procedure first, followed by a sentinal node biopsy and tumor removal, and finally plastic surgery to put it all back together. I had not had a surgery since I was about 10 when I had a minor dental thing done, so the whole thing was new to me. It was both frightening and fascinating. I felt well-taken-care-of, both by all the doctors, techs and nurses and by my family who were able to be there. They tell me that the doctors were pleased with the way things went, and now we are waiting test results to know what is next. For now, I am resting comfortably. I was queasy and weak most of the day, needing to eat in order to keep pain meds down but simply could not. Then, exactly 24 hours after I woke up from the surgery, I suddenly wanted chips and dip. I ate some, and it tasted great. Go figure! Tonight I rode with Jerry to take Heater to a football game and then stop by Bob Evan's to buy a pie, and it was too much. I should not have tried that as it has landed me right back in bed. Nathan is at mom's, so that makes it easier to just rest. Tomorrow will be a new day!

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers as I've gone through this. I love you all.

P.S. Forgot to mention the highlight of the day...a very nice hospital volunteer -- friendly, white-haired gent -- gave me smooth wheelchair ride down to nuclear medicine and back. He sure knows his way around the place! :)

6 comments:

Carol said...

Glad to hear from you, Angela! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

marym said...

Thanks for the update, Angela. Take care of yourself - don't overdo! Will continue to pray for you and the results, hoping for the best; in all things knowing God is in control. We love you.

Nog Blog said...

Your report shows you've already learned more about medical jargon than you ever wanted to know. Any surgery is painful and disruptive, and I'm sure you're learning just how much you depend on your right arm for almost every movement you make. Take care, take it slow, and take in all the love and help offered. So glad this step #1 is behind you.

Mim said...

Angela, Thank you so much for the update. You have been on our minds and in our prayers much the last several days. We also are glad that this step is behind you. Your Uncle Lynn always says, "We'll just do the next thing" in his nonexcitable, accept what comes as from the Lord. He is a stabilizer.

Lovingly, Aunt Mim

Alice said...

Glad to hear you are at home and recovering. Things will get better every day. We will continue praying for good results.
Everything is in God's hands.

Cleve and Kathleen said...

We are elated to hear of the good results. Glad Judy and Linda encouraged you to check it out!