Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday's Swimming Adventure

I worked all night and slept from 7:30 - 11:00 this morning. Then the thought process started:

"Should I go to the pool and swim?"

"I only have a couple of hours, maybe I'll skip it."

"It only takes 25 minutes to swim the 18 laps."

"I'm still pretty tired, maybe I'll just lay back down."

"I need to go...and the sun is shining!"

"But I might not have time tomorrow, and Wednesday is the funeral, and it might be rainy the end of the week, so is it worth it to go for just one day?"

"Just put on your suit and go to the pool!"

Lap 1 - Breathing heavily.
Lap 2 - Gasping for air.
Lap 3 - Breast stroke, good, I can catch my breath.
Lap 4, 5, 6 - OK, 6 laps down, maybe I'll just stop at 9.
Lap 7, 8, 9 - That's 1/4 of a mile, maybe that's good enough.
Lap 10, 11, 12 - Well, now I'm catching my stride and I'm sure I can do 3 more.
Lap 13, 14, 15 - Aw, shoot, I've already done 15, just as well finish it up.
Lap 16, 17, 18 - Done!!

On about lap 14, I came up to find some young bathing beauties soaking their legs on the side of the pool, right in my path. I reached the pool edge and rather awkwardly turned around to start the next lap, as they just sat there, unperturbed. Did I say anything to them to get out of my way? No! Did I kick extra hard as I pulled away from the side to get them a little wet? Ummmm, yes I did!


There's something going on in our house that involves crash dieting and $300, but that's a story for another post...

3 comments:

rk2 said...

I'm glad other people talk themselves when they try to exercise like I do--from motivation through actually doing it.

Ann said...

Yep - you should see me at the gym. I've learned that reading a magazine while on the elliptical works better than watching the TV, because the magazine hides the timer - I get interested in the articles, and actually exercise LONGER than intended! (well, like 15 minutes instead of 12.)

Shelley S said...

I can't wait to hear about the dieting and money! You're doing great with your swimming laps - keep it up!