Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday Morning Memories

Okay, last night I couldn't sleep for awhile and kept remembering things from the '60s and early '70s.

I remember. . .

--Ada's wedding being one of the hottest days of the year; Judy and Linda took turns playing the piano for the entrance and for a solo.

--when the LCK family would come to IL, we would set up cots in Grandma's living room for the kids. Sometimes David and Cathy would stay there too and it was a regular dormitory in there.

--when Uncle Perry worked in Chattanooga, he would occasionally drive to Athens and stay with us for a weekend. It was a "big deal" to have Uncle Perry come see our family. I believe that that was soon before he returned to IL and was converted - is that correct?

--Judy and Dave's wedding in Chicago - they were just "dippy" about each other (to use a good Grandma word) and it was a fun reception at a big hall of some sort in Chicago.

--Grandma's fried cube steak, smooth cottage cheese, and apple pie.

--the day before Perry and Carol's wedding, we went to visit Aunt (?) Klopfenstein who also lived in Portland; Cleve was along, and she gave him something, I believe it was glassware of some kind, as a gift for his upcoming wedding to Kathleen. For some reason I remember strongly him saying "Oh, she'll love it!"

Well, this list includes a lot of wedding memories! Don't know why. Thought I'd share on a hot Monday morning, but now had better get onto a list of projects that is waiting for me, including re-framing some pictures we want to hang.

3 comments:

Carol said...

The aunt's name was Evelyn Klopfenstein (widow of John). Thanks for an interesting post!

Ada said...

Our wedding was definitely the hottest day EVER and no air conditioning.

I fry cubed steak just like Mother - if you want, I'll fix it for you sometime. I never liked the smooth cottage cheese and still can't match her apple - or peach - pie BUT I might TRY for the upcoming reunion.

Cleve and Kathleen said...

Yes, from Aunt Evelyn in Oregon, Kathleen and I received as a wedding gift -- a beautiful sugar and creamer set. We have always cherished it and also her willingness to share something from her possessions with us, especially since we didn't even know her!