Saturday, June 5, 2010

POTLUCK


We're both hustling around here today getting ready for potluck tonight. The table is set with our wedding china and crystal which will be 45 years old this summer. The swan centerpiece is made from a line of Frankoma pottery which is called Ada Clay - I found it several years ago when I googled my name just for fun. I discovered that these particular pieces were made from a vein of clay near Ada, Oklahoma and were fired in the late 30's early 40's, if I remember correctly. I purchased several pieces on Ebay and Drake gave me some as a gift.
Also the cute little toothpick holder is handpainted by Emmy Steffen; she gave it to me as a hostess gift one time. The mirrored tray was Aunt Setta's. I will be using Mother's meat fork, sugar spoon, and butter knife with the white pearl handles.

As you can see, my table will be special to me tonight. We're serving BBQ'd pork chops on the grill, hash brown potatoes; guests are bringing baked beans, salad, bread and dessert. Sounds yummy, right?

8 comments:

Mim said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty of your table. I appreciate a table with lovely, and in your case meaningful, settings. Add good food and you have a winner!

Ann said...

Beautiful table. I'm giving a luncheon on Tuesday and would consider posting a picture of the table, except it won't be nearly as lovely as yours!

Eric - Retta said...

You forgot to mention what time we should arrive to partake.

Looks great. Aren't all those connections to the past great reminders of our heritage? Enjoy. EDK

Cleve said...

It is wonderful to have meaningful things around the house. A lady's dream is the table setting items. But I am super happy having inherited Grandma's wall pendulum chiming wall clock which still keeps PERFECT time. I had mailed it to her while I was in Vietnam and she wanted me to have it.

Ada said...

We had a good dinner and evening until 8:50 when we got a phone call that a tornado was heading toward Gridley - our guests all jumped up, grabbed their stuff, began calling their kids on cell phones telling them to get to the basement, and ran out the front door. Now at 9:25 it is raining and lightening, but thankfully, no sign of tornado. The TV has constant coverage of damaged areas nearby so we're just thankful. Still new storms moving in from west of Peoria.

Cleve said...

We heard all the warnings too and even had an above-ground tornado go right near or over our house..very, very windy for about 1minute. We said, "hey, Jerry and Ada are having potluck!". Storms going eastward now toward Gridley so hope you all stay safe. I'm sure the porkchops and hash browns went over very well before all the weather fireworks!

marym said...

Hope everyone is okay- and that all the excitement is over by now. At least I don't see any weather warnings on weather.com. Please keep us posted.

rk2 said...

A beautiful table, and thanks for sharing all the special items.