Monday, May 31, 2010

MEMORIAL DAY IN GRIDLEY

Memorial Day always makes me nostalgic. I'm sure many of you remember the parade down main street with the Color Guard, HS band, girl/boy scouts, brownies and more. And also the guns at the cemetery, the Indy 500 broadcasting on the radio as the men washed cars in the driveway while the children ran around Grandma/Grandpa's house, Fried chicken, homemade ice cream and on and on and on . . .

The parade now consists only of the Color Guard, but the street continues to be well-lined with loyal citizens. Last year a new veteran's memorial was put up on the west side of the cemetery and it is very touching when the ceremony ends with people placing flowers at the bottom of the memorial. Today two veterans folded a flag as another narrated the meaning of the 13 folds. Dick Stanhouse sang "acapella" the most beautiful rendition of "America the Beautiful" you've ever heard. There were many people, myself included, wiping away a few tears.

So we may be "Hicksville", but we are many loyal Americans saluting the Flag, our Country and the Veterans who have served and are serving to preserve our Freedoms.

4 comments:

Eric - Retta said...

I remember as a kid walking down main street in the parade and then getting onto a school bus to for the short trip to the cemetery. I remember always thinking that it would have been almost as quick to just walk to the cemetery as it was to wait on that stupid bus.

Cleve said...

Thanks, A-duh, for the great memories with your update on this year's Gridley Memorial Day events. I well recall all the parades, especially the ones from 1961-64 when Mom would video the parade with our Kodak soundless 8mm movie camera. We also have some great movies of walking around the cemetery and Grandpa K's grave. I would someday like to hear Dick Stanhouse sing and I could well imagine this year's events as you described them. I suggested to Kathleen that we ought to go to Gridley this Monday, but we had Aaron's family here all weekend, so we could not make it. Lastly, I am proud to say that I too am a veteran and would have been proud to see the folding of that flag. Maybe next year. Thanks for your post.

Ada said...

And, Cuh-leve, I'm sure you remember the watermelon contests.

Cleve said...

Ada,
Thanks for my laugh for the day -- I do recall the watermelon eating contests, etc. !!!
Cull-eve