Wednesday, February 24, 2010

VANCOUVER

As we have been watching the Olympics on and off this week, I have been reminded of our two days in Vancouver before going to Alaska several years ago. The Today show has also been broadcasting from there and it is fun watching Al, Ann, Merideth, Matt, etc. as they explore the main attractions of the city.

One day they were at Granville Island - a quaint shopping area, and a place we visited. Another day they were visiting Stanley Park; I have many pictures of us in the beautiful flowers gardens there. And yet another day they were taken by airplane to Vancouver Island to the city of Victoria to visit the beautiful Empress Hotel - they actually went inside and had tea and scones. This is another place we visited although we did not fly, we took the ferry, and we did not have tea and scones.

It was so fun watching all this and last night I just had to get out our scrapbook and look at the pictures. I also read the daily diary I wrote about our cruise to Alaska. It brought back so many good memories of our lovely trip in '06. I would recomment this trip to anyone who wants to try a cruise.

As for the Olympics, my favorite thing is the figure skating. What's your favorite?

9 comments:

rk2 said...

I've kind of lost interest in figure skating although the Canadian girl who is competing in the middle of her extreme grief certainly makes for a compelling story.

Last Winter Olympics and this year's I think my favorites have been speed skating, snowboard cross and ski cross.

By the way, if you've seen the red mittens everyone seems to have, our Vancouver dealer sent some as gifts about a month ago. I'm really enjoying having "the" Olympic item here in the US Midwest!

http://rkklop.blogspot.com/2010/01/christmas-in-january.html

and

http://rkklop.blogspot.com/2010/02/olympics.html

Anonymous said...

Shaun White, Apollo Ohno, Body Miller!

Shelley S said...

Figure skating used to be my favorite, but this time around I'm enjoying the freestyle skiing. It was on again last night. They ski down a hill, off a ramp, and do lots of flips and twists before they land. It's incredible!

Alice said...

I like the figure skating best, and I was so glad Joannie Rochette got a medal. I really like speed skating, especially Apollo! Has anyone watched Curling? I can't seem to understand it, but it sure looks like fun.

rk2 said...

Curling does not make sense to me, but I do watch it. I try to look up the rules while I watch to try to figure it out.

It's too strategic of a game for me.

Eric - Retta said...

Growing up we all watch figure skating, but I haven't been able to stomach it this year at all.

I've been watching pretty much everything else that's on in the evening though. Thus far my favorite has been snow cross.

Cleve said...

I've always liked the luge & bobsled, until this year with all the accidents. I realized "What is this anyway? What purpose does it have? What skills does it actually take?" Many of us ice skate, snow ski, etc., but does anyone anywhere say "Hey lets go do some luging?"

Ann said...

Last night I watched the final curling match with my dad (over the phone) and wished I'd watched more of it over the past week - it was more interesting than the tongue-in-cheek articles made it sound.

Liked the skiing and skating. Didn't care much about the hockey, though. And luge and bobsled seem silly to me also.

rk2 said...

Cleve--there is a luge training track open to the public in Muskegon about 30 minutes from me. So yes, in Muskegon, MI they do say, "Let's go luging."

Mark Grimmette (?) who carried the U.S. flag in the opening ceremonies is from there.