Friday, December 25, 2009

MERRY CHRISTMAS

It is 4:35 am and we've just finished our breakfast of bacon and eggs. I'll try to keep the story short. Yesterday about 4 pm our water alarm went off by the sump pump. Apparently the water was so intense outside that the pressure blew the pipes apart and water was shooting all over. Jerry managed to put it together but it wouldn't stay. We were both soaked. After much consternation he managed to plug up the pipe, hook up another pipe to a rubber hose and rerouted the water out to the back yard. I'm not sure if I helped or if I got in the way, but anyway "we" fixed it -- for a couple hours, when it sprung another leak, but he fixed that fairly easily. No more problems. . .

We weren't sleeping well last night, Jerry got up and was playing at the computer, I was reading in bed. We turned the light back off about 3 and tried to go to sleep. Shortly after that the power went out. I woke Jerry and said "the electricity is off, are we in trouble?" and he said "yes", jumped out of bed and went downstairs. Of course, the pump wasn't running, water was just at the top of the hole, but not running over.

So I made breakfast, and now he's down there "fiddling" with it - says the pump wasn't shutting off so he's putting the backup pump in.

Merry Christmas everyone. We're looking forward to the family getting here about 2 pm - hope we're awake!

4 comments:

Nog Blog said...

I've been up a couple of hours too, and actually did think of people who must be having water problems with this incessant rain! Sorry to hear you have had a mess to deal with...I'm having some fridge problems, but it looks like it will hold together over the weekend til I can get someone to come and fix it before it totally shuts down. Hope Jerry gets the sump to hold together through the festivities you have planned today.

rk2 said...

A sump pump is the bain (sp???) of my life. Not because it doesn't work but because of the noise it makes every hour.

I feel for you with any sump pump issues, but ummm, Merry Christmas!!!

Drake said...

Curious, I looked it up. It's spelled 'bane': something causing misery or death

Ann said...

This must be the Christmas for difficulties. We lost power too - Mary Lee and I had to pack in the dark to come to my folks' house. More in a post.