Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cleve's pumpkin update



I've heard that you are all wondering about my first-ever pumpkin patch. The final pumpkin of the 6 that I nurtured all summer is still on the vine and has a ways to go yet. The other 5 have been given away to the most appreciative takers. Jodie, Dave, and Emma are getting the final one -- being delivered to them on Saturday.
The picture here shows 3 that were not yet fully grown, but still quite large and enjoyed by the grandkids on Labor Day. This is grandson #2, Carter, showing his balancing skills. Jodie is getting the one in the other picture (which is now even larger). Next year should be better -- I've learned a few tricks to make them even bigger.
Cleve

4 comments:

Ada said...

That Carter's a doll - think I see a little of his grandpa in him!!

Rhoda said...

Hmmm, I've never been interested in raising pumpkins, but I'm somewhat challenged to do so now. These are very impressive!

And a change of subject, when do you manure your rhubarb? I'm giving it one more year before giving up on it and just buying it at a farm market.

Carol said...

Thanks for the fun pictures, Cleve! The pumpkins look great.

Cleve said...

Rhoda,
We manure our rhubarb in the spring soon after it emerges. Topping with deluges of horse manure is the best, if you can get access to it.