Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ruth has gone Home

It was a tremendous shock when Ada called this morning to tell that Ruth had a heart attack last evening and passed away at 11:00 P.M.

I called her two mornings ago and she was at her church working on the Sunday bulletin. I offered to call back later, but she said she could talk anyway. We talk occasionally and always have an enjoyable chat. She was all set to leave on October 12 to visit her only sibling, Gerald Vortman and his wife Hilda. She told me that her nephew would get her in Lincoln, NB. In the past Ruth always rented a car and drove the 100 miles to Hebron. But this time her family objected. Can't you just hear her comment to me? "There is only one stop light and I could easily drive it." Her plan was from Nebraska to fly to Chicago to see Melissa and her twins and little Isabella. But God had other plans.

Lynn called Bruce this afternoon. He was pretty shook up--"She was a part of us."

I feel particularly sorry for Bruce's children because Ruth did so many grandmotherly things for them. They have lost much as she did much to impart Biblical wisdom to them.

Several years ago Ruth started a book telling about her youth on a Nebraska farm, long before present day conveniences were available. She planned to intersperse recipes of that time--example: recipes from meals her mother and aunts would cook for the threshers. I asked her from time to time how the book was coming and she always said that she'd have to work on it again. I think she had a pretty good start on it.

Anyway, I am sad tonight that another dear one has gone down the valley even as I rejoice for her.

2 comments:

Nog Blog said...

I'm wondering what plans are being made for Aunt Ruth. Let us know when you hear anything. I have missed her presence in the past few years as it seems I didn't hear from her as often. I know she loved all her grandkids and they will really miss her. I must add, though, that the Lord took her in a merciful way.

Mim said...

Judy:
Visitation will be Monday from 5 to8. Funeral Tuesday morning at 10:00. Family will have a meal after the funeral at the Country Club, same as after Jay's funeral.
Lynn and I plan to drive down Monday and return home on Tuesday
afternoon. Joey and Mary may go with us.
Yes, what a nice way for her to leave this robe of flesh.