Sunday, June 14, 2009

Brie

Yesterday I was looking through my recipe file when I came across a typed copy of Great-Grandma Klopfenstein's brie recipe. I haven't had that in years! Remembering that there was some leaf lettuce planted out back that needed to be eaten, today was the day to try it! I compared it to Aunt Mary's recipe in the Klopfenstein cookbook. Hers suggested less sugar and also to add mayo. if you like, which I did. However, the less sugar didn't work - it was too vinegary without another tbsp. of sugar.

The finished product! It was very good!

And the Sunday dinner table. The lettuce was from our back yard, and the new red potatoes, yellow squash, and onions were all from our farmers' market, therefore grown in our county. I plan to go to the farmers' market often this summer. Drake, if you're reading this, do you still eat local?
.
Well, anyway, my family thinks it's a little silly to post Sunday dinner on the blog, but maybe y'all will enjoy reading about my little brie experience. Hope you have a restful day.

7 comments:

Ada said...

Looks yummy! I may just have to try it sometime soon. Too bad you're so far away or we could share meals sometimes.

Nog Blog said...

That salad looks wonderful!

LynnK said...

Well, good ole fashioned brie really sounds fascinating. I grew up on the sour vinegar dressing and it was especially good on new spring dandelions gathered before a tartness set in. Now that is really a delectible salad that I'm afraid is a thing of the past.

My mother would dig a large wash pan full of these dandelions--clean them and we''d eat the entire lot with the delicious brie. What a remembrance!!!

How many of you remember these days?

Rhoda said...

Can't wait for my lettuce to mature so I can make some brie!

Your dinner looks wonderful.

Nog Blog said...

I think I was at the tail end of the dandelion eating. I remember Grandma working with dandelions, but I'm not sure I ever ate them, and it doesn't sound appealing now either. But that good bacon brie dressing she made was really good!

Ada said...

I remember the bitter dandelion salads, but wouldn't call them delicious! I did learn to eat them as I got older and especially if she had hard-boiled sliced on top of the salad. It would be interesting to try it again . . . but with all the insectisides, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

How about her dandelion wine? That was pretty bitter!

Eric - Retta said...

I can remember cutting dandelions for Grandma-Great when we mowed her yard and prior to killing her dandelions when she lived in the red brick house. I remember the salad as well and yes, Ada, it was bitter but eatable.