Sunday, April 12, 2009

We Did It!

From Illinois Half Marathon


Angela and I both finished the Illinois Half-Marathon in Champaign yesterday. It was a beautiful day for running - a little cool to start but bright sunshine and a good crowd. The course wound through Campustown, Urbana, and Champaign so I had lots of time to think of the great memories I have of going to school there. We ran by my Freshman dorm, Everett Lab (home of Elec. Engr.), and Jason's house. The highlight may have been finishing on the 50 yard line at Memorial Stadium!

The night before the race we ate at Papa Del's pizza which always makes me think of Larry. Mom & Dad took us to visit him while he was at U of I and we got Papa Del's carry out and ate back at the Brown House. It was my first experience with Chicago-style pan pizza and I could not believe how thick it was.

Oh, and I ran into Tim, Cathy, and Jen waiting for Brett (who was running the FULL marathon!). Hopefully we'll get an update from them here also.

3 comments:

Ada said...

We're proud of you both, and glad you finished safely. Next time, we'll come and cheer you on. We like the nice family pictures - looks like you survived happily and in good shape. - Mom and Dad

Cleve said...

Drake and Angela: CONGRATULATIONS on accomplishing what most people just dream about. Drake, go to the recent post "Happy Easter Everyone from Catherine" and you'll see comment #5 from last night wondering if you actually ran the race -- your sister Angela had mentioned herself, but nothing about you! I knew you had committed to run this race from an earlier post, but much like your commitment to go away to build that wooden boat, I should have known that you were in Champaign finishing your goal!

Shelley S said...

Wow!