Thursday, April 2, 2009

SAM'S CLUB

Well, I had quite an experience today. I went to Sam's Club for the first time on my own. Today I had a one-day free pass to shop and to possibly become a "member". If I spent $100 I would get a $40 gift card, the cost of the membership, so untimately I got the membership for free. I'm still trying to figure out if it was really free, or if I paid for it, but it's too complicated for me. As the ladies were explaining my options, it was a little confusing. I'm sure they had a good laugh as this little old gray-haired lady left the store!

It didn't take me long to find $1oo worth of stuff - and then some!! I got cases of pop, green beans, gum, peanut-butter crackers, laundry detergent, garbage bags, meat and a few other things. Got my enrollment in Sam's Club - so all you stockholders can thank me for your dinner tonight.

I'll have to learn how shop there effectively - impulse is too costly! It must be planned ahead and that's something for me to do. As I left I felt like I was at Aldi's - they just put the food in the cart and I had to take it to the car without any bags! By the time I'd lifted the heavy cases off the shelves, into the cart, out of the cart and onto the counter, and later out of the cart and into the trunk, my arms and back were aching. That might also help me not to buy too much in the future.

8 comments:

Ann said...

Sam's can be both a great money-saver and a fooler. You've got to know your prices because some things really are a bargain, but others you can actually do better in a regular grocery store during a sale.

But it's fun to go there, also fun to get things you can't get anywhere else. And, at least here, their meats are really high quality.

Eric - Retta said...

We have been Sam's fans for years. We have our normal things we buy there every month and then we shop for unique things as well.

Here we keep being asked if we go to Costco. I've found that either your a Sam's fan or a Costco fan, not both. As for, we are sticking with Sam's.

Carol said...

I must admit, I am a little "addicted" to Sam's club. Ann's right---you do need to compare prices since some things aren't such a good deal. If you like mixed nuts (like we do) I suggest getting them in the big can at Menards. Menard's are better and just as cheap as the Planters brand at Sam's.

Drake said...

If you're looking for gravy - and I mean a lot of gravy. Then Sam's Club is your place. They have the hugest cans of gravy.

Alice said...

Drake, I can't imagine your little family eating a lot of gravy!

LynnK said...

Well, when the subject is "Sam's", I have to get a word in. We like SAM'S CLUB for the quantity (and quality) items like bread flour, yeast for baking, coffee filters, Naproxen, fish oil, chewing gum, pizza, nuts and much more. The savings from quantity about pays for a lunch out which can be obtained at the club. All in all, we like the experience which is different enough from the regular supermarket (Wal+Mart!).

Moreover, you all should shop more at SAM'S CLUB because it helps keep Mim's cash pockets flowing suitably.

Mim said...

It is nice to read that there is so much cash flowing through my pockets, courtesy of y'all and Sam's. So thanks to all of you.
Surprising what one learns by reading the blog.

Cleve said...

Drake, are you still training for the long-distance run? How about an update? If so, lay off the gravy. You should NOT be eating the huge cans of Sam's gravy. Another tip is to get a good set of running shoes -- otherwise you will be feeling the "agony of de feet".