Saturday, April 25, 2009

Kohlrabi Post #2

This morning Mike and I went to the annual spring plant sale, put on by the horticulture department at Clemson University. It's the first time we've gone - Mike was looking mainly for some shrubs and perennials. I wandered to the one small area that had annuals - and there was a sign, kohlrabi plants $1!!! The lady said that all I need to do is grow them a little longer and then each one will be edible, without ever transplanting. She also said that the leaves are edible, cooked like turnip greens. Did any of you ever cook the leaves?

Anyway - I will soon find out the joys of eating kohlrabi, and will be sure to let you know the results. :-)

1 comment:

Mim said...

Ann, your great grandmother Martin (in whose home mother, Chuck, and I grew up) cooked kohlrabi. I didn't much like them but I think it might have been the herb seasoning. Never heard of eating them raw until the K's came into my life--or conversely. Now I realize what I missed!