Monday, April 6, 2009

Finally an update!

Here is the much anticipated update! I went back to UAB on Thursday morning and finished my stress test. I didn't have to walk on the treadmill. Instead they did a chemical stress test. That was quite fun. For those who have been through it, you know what I mean.

After spending two days at home (Thursday & Friday) resting on Doctor's orders, we ventured off to the airshow in Tuscaloosa on Saturday with the Geyer Family. Enjoyed a long hot day watching the planes fly, including the Blue Angels, took a 2 hour nap on a blanket on the taxi-way grass and enjoyed supper at Dan and Shelly's house. I don't recommend taking a 2 hour nap on the taxi-way without sunscreen. I've got a bit of a sunburn. The whole while I suffered from chest pains, dizziness, and tension. Sunday was church in the morning, a long Sunday afternoon nap and evening church, supper and to bed early. Today I actually returned to work, and although my boss confined me to my office, I still had chest pains and dizziness.

This afternoon I went to a new doctor (general practitioner) since I didn't have a local doctor. After listening to my symptoms and based on the preliminary results of my stress test, they do not believe my symptoms are heart problem related. The final report from the stress test should confirm that. With that said, I am still having chest pains and dizziness. Therefore, he has put me on the "purple pill" for heartburn to rule that out as the cause and I will be going for a breathing test next week to rule out my asthma as the cause.

Overall, I need to loose about 80 pounds, exercise and learn to deal with the stresses my job is putting on me. My boss has offered to join a local gym with me and we can hold each other accountable to working out 3 times a week. So, we'll see what the final results from the cardiologist are and how I feel after a couple days of heartburn treatment.

Thank you all for your prayers and concerns as I've worked through this ordeal. It means a lot to have a family who loves you, supports you and prays for you. EDK

3 comments:

Rhoda said...

Thanks for the update. It sounds as if your work team leader is being really good about this, and his willingness to be an accountability partner for the gym is really a big and neat thing for him to do.

As much as I love watching the Blue Angels that would add to my stress level. At the Muskegon Air Show several years ago they came flying up from behind me over a grove of trees and I don't know when I was so scared. My friends really gave me a hard time about it for awhile.

Ada said...

It's good to hear that your heart is probably not the problem. Losing weight and getting in shape will not be easy, but just think how good you'll feel and look. Good luck and we hope everything continues to improve.

Perry said...

Eric,

Do not underestimate physical exercise. I have found it to be beneficial over the years, and my daily jog is an energizer. I encourage it, but under a doctor's directions for now.