Friday, March 13, 2009

Kansas City


Last week-end, Perry, Preston and I were in Kansas City with the Emch family. We visited the World War I museum which is new and "state of the art". It reminds me of the wonderful museums in Washington DC. I learned a lot including why our country ever got involved in that war in the first place. They had lists of the Kansas and Missouri men who served, but not Illinois. They have a basement archives which probably would have a list from every state, but we didn't take the time to check it out. It would have been impressive to see the name: Elmer J. Klopfenstein. The trench warfare those soldiers endured had to be really awful!! The museum had re-created realistic trenches with soldiers in them to see what it would have looked like. But of course, for me, the highlight of the trip was the time spent with Anna, Timon & Jesse! ---Carol (PS Ada encouraged me to post more often, so I am responding to her request.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Carol for posting. But we need another picture of Jesse to make sure he's really under that brown blanket. And also one of the photographer! Yes, war is horrendous and we've never even been in the trenches. I regret so much not asking Dad more about his WWI experience. As it is, I know nothing but that he went overseas and that he was baptized in New Jersey just before going.
What do the rest of you know? Before long those in WWII will no longer be here to learn from their experience. So you young folks better learn while you have first hand information.

Ada said...

Thanks for posting Carol. Nice picture of everyone. Looks like it was a windy day. Also looks great to be outside in "shirtsleeves"!!

Anonymous said...

C, P, and P,
Nice pic, especially when clicked on to make larger -- very clear and interesting. You've mastered the art of posting photographs so we look forward to many more.
Cleve

Anonymous said...

Perhaps some of you computer experts can explain to me why I can post photographs when I use Firefox, but not when I use Internet Explorer. Computers are such a mystery to me! I guess it really doesn't matter---I'm just glad I discovered that Firefox works.

Shelley S said...

What a beautiful picture of your family! Thanks for sharing.