Monday, February 2, 2009

Final Report about Tommy

I thought I'd give one last report about Tommy. We went to his memorial service at Timber Ridge last Thursday afternoon. There were probably 50 or 60 residents in attendance with many aides and/or volunteers caring for them. Some of you know Randy Mogler - he was the speaker and told some stories about Tommy and quotes people had said about him. It was very touching. They ran a slide show of pictures of Tommy on a large screen. They gave us a beautiful floral arrangement and a very nice white Memorial Bible.

Saturday, most of our family came as well as Jerry's nephew Steve and his girlfriend. We met at the cemetery and had a short burial service. Steph and Donna Lou Baner were with us for a few words and prayer. Drake, Jason, and Angela all read either scripture or a poem. It was quite cold and windy. It meant a lot for the family to be together. It is good to know that Tommy now has his new mind and body and is waiting tp see the rest of us.

We came back to our house for a chicken dinner which we got at the Green Garden Restaurant here in Gridley. Jamie Knobloch organized everything - she brought hashbrown potatoes, Charity made a salad, and Joan made a vegetable casserole. Preston made a very large batch of chocolate cookies - they were the biggest hit with the kids. Even Nathan - who couldn't quite see them on the counter, was able to reach them and I saw him run off with quite a few of them! We also had a Dairy Queen cake and homemade brownies from Marcia Campbell (they own a DQ), and some potato soup and pumpkin bars from Clark and Cindy. It was delicious and best of all Jamie and Charity waited on us and cleaned up - I just sat the enjoyed.

I know you have all been thinking of and praying for us - and we thank you so much. Now life moves on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ada, I'm so glad for your update. I was thinking about you Saturday and wondering how it all went. I'm glad the girls served you and you could relax with your family. My brother is picking me up at 4 am to take me to the airport tomorrow. I've had a wonderful few days with my folks and also with my recovering sister Linda who is still in a wheelchair, etc.

Ann said...

I'm glad it went smoothly. It sounds like you had a nice tribute to him as well as a great meal afterwards. You've been in our thoughts and prayers.