Saturday, December 27, 2008

Springerles

On Wednesday as I sat in the GR airport waiting to fly out I was reading that day's Grand Rapids Press. Click here to read an article I found quite interesting. I thought you may find it interesting as well since Grandma K. made them.

I ended up making two batches this year. The first I made while in Michigan and they came out of the oven as hard as can be. Then I made a second batch in Atlanta. The anise flavoring seeped out of the bottle into a plastic bag in flight to Atlanta so the second batch didn't have enough flavoring. Oh well, I guess there is next year.

At least the chocolate cookies were good this year, and I think a few people ate them (and liked them) who had never done so before.

--Rhoda

5 comments:

Ada said...

I remember how excited everyone seemed to be over those springerles. I have never liked them - in fact think they taste awful! Interestingly enough, I really liked the hard anise candy my mother made.

Anonymous said...

I've found either people like the springerles or don't like them at all. There is no middle ground.

Ann said...

Count me in the "can't stand them" category. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the springerles and wish I would have had more time to make them. I use Grandma Hemmer's recipe. If I could only have a couple of yours, Rhoda. My mouth is watering.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Alice,

If this year's were better I'd mail a bag to you, but unfortunately this year's just didn't turn out the best. I'd hate to disillusion you with them.

However, Jeffrey doesn't know these aren't his Great-Grandma K worthy, and he has eaten quite a few. Last night he tried one and liked it. A few minutes later he went out in the kitchen and came back with three in his hand!!!