Thursday, October 23, 2008

White Water Excitement

Every once in a while a man needs to test his mettle. Recently I threw caution to the wind and battled the mighty Upper Gauley River in West Virginia, home to beautiful sights and breathtaking Category 5 rapids. In the fall, water is released from a dam at the top, accentuating the rapids and attracting whitewater thrillseekers from all over the world (not sure I met this qualification, seeing I'd never been rafting). Any of you bloggers familiar w/ the Gauley? It is about as terrifying as it is exhilarating! An adventure I will talk about for many years to come. After finishing the rapids, high fiving and flexing a bit with collegues from work who did it with me, I quicky returned to Indy where my office job and family responsibilities awaited me. Such is life as a weekend warrior...

Curious, what is your most thrilling adventure? (Dad, scooter riding @ the cabin does not count.)




6 comments:

Ada said...

WOW! Sounds like you had a great adventure. When your boys grow up, you can do it again and take them with you.

Anonymous said...

Biggest adventure? Jerry and I have gone parasailing in Florida -- the kind where you sit in a seat and they "fly" you behind the boat. We also went jet skiing and swam with sharks in the Bahamas while I was pregnant with Nathan. That might not have been too smart...

rk2 said...

I know this won't be adventuresom for many, but the thing I've done where I prayed, "Lord, just get me out of this and. . ." was snow skiing. I've tried it several times so I think I've given it a fair shake, but I just don't like it. I don't like the feeling of not being in control which right away tells you I'm not doing it right.

I would love to try both white water rafting (but probably on water less adventuresome than what Aaron was on) and parasailing.

Anonymous said...

Aaron: Remember, your old man DID ride the Tilt-a-Wheel years ago at the Peoria Fair even when you kids were scared to. And, I even did the "simulated" parasailing ride at Disney last year!!
Seriously though, Mom and I were praying for you as you were on this rafting trip with 24 miles of world-famous unmatched rapids. Glad you were able to get away for a day or so and enjoy it with your co-workers.
DAD

Ann said...

I do not like thrilling adventures. Snow skiing was a disaster - somebody had to help me up the tow rope of the bunny slope. I can't remember how many people who said they could get anybody up on waterskis gave up when they tried with me. (The first time, nobody told me that when you go down, you let go of the rope.) Rollercoasters are awful. I'm perfectly happy to ride on a pontoon boat, swim in a pool, and drive a van.

But I'm very glad that you had such a great time!

Jason-Janice (mostly Janice) said...

I tried to impress all of my in laws during the weekend of Jerry and Angela's wedding by riding the Alpine Slide thing at Chestnut Mountain in Galena. Jason went on one with Zac, and I followed along by myself.

The ride down was fine, but no one told me you had to ride the gondola thing on the way back up. And I was by myself. And petrified. I just prayed and prayed that God would protect me on the way up. I prayed like they were my final moments...I was really that scared. I was shaking so badly, I probably really was in danger of falling out of the thing.

By the time I reached the top (where everyone was waiting for me) I was borderline hysterical, but trying not to show it. Tears streaming down my face, from pure terror, but I still claimed I was OK.

That should not have turned out to be such an adventure, but it did. My daredevil days are now over.