Sunday, October 26, 2008

Book Selection

Yesterday I was in a local thrift store looking through the books. As I looked through shelf after shelf of books I started thinking about what made me stop to look at a book, read the jacket, and consider buying it. That made me think about others posting here (especially Nog Blog) about buying books at library sales, garage sales, etc. Usually the titles are quite varied which means many things appeal to the reader.

I walked away without buying any as I'm still working through a stack of books at my house.

Regardless of new or used, what makes you look at a book to consider reading it?

4 comments:

Eric - Retta said...

Judging by the books on my bookshelf (which happens to be in the garage) I would say there are two themes that catch my eye. 1. Biographies or Autobiograghies, especially of those people who have served as missionaries or in a ministry in their life. 2. Murder mysteries focused around government conspiricies or terrorism. My recent theme is aquiring books from yard sales, thift stores or give-aways, is to pick up books that were written 30~ 60 years ago. EDK

Anonymous said...

I look at a book if the cover design is to my liking. I do not like to read hard back books. I like gory, real-life crime stories. No sappy love stories. I also like books about the Amish, especially by Beverly Lewis. I've read all her stuff.

Ann said...

I like nonfiction much better than fiction. Only an occasional fiction book catches my eye. Ditto Eric's comment about biographies, and I also like old books. (Partly because of the potential re-sale value on eBay.) I'm always on the lookout for old nurse book series, particularly Sue Barton and Cherry Ames, so please let me know if you have access to some of those.

Nog Blog said...

You know I pick up all styles...except for the gory crime, or the government mysteries. I'm reading one now about forced retirement due to age. Discrimination, they cry! We have lots of good years left in us even though the corporate world is done with us so soon...yeah, I'm hoping to use those good years left doing what Ada and Jerry are doing, gallavanting off to Washington, D.C., spending winters in Florida, even going to Senior Expos! Can't wait!