Thursday, September 11, 2008

Etiquette Question

I had something happen to me that has never happened before. I was shopping at Meijers in the midst of a downpour and made my way to the check-out lanes. There were only 3 lanes open - which is very unusual - and then the self-check lanes.

We found a lane and began the wait. I had 4 wet kids with me and it was dangerously close to naptime. The 2-year-old began throwing candy bars into the cart as fast as he could while the 6-year-old took them out and put them away. The 4-year -old was laughing hysterically and the baby was simply amused by the whole scene. After a few minutes the lady behind me taps me on the shoulder and says "Excuse me ma'am, but do you mind if I go ahead of you - I only have 3 things".

Of course I let her ahead of me but I was shocked that she had the nerve to ask. Normally I do a pretty good job of looking around and letting people go in front of me who do not have as much as I do. Today, however, I was trying to manage the chaos and did not pay any attention. Her transaction probably only took 1-2 extra minutes, but 1-2 extra minutes can seem like a lifetime when you're trapped in the checkout with tired kids and candy on both sides. I found it amusing that while she wanted to get out of the store quicker, most of the other customers probably wanted to see ME get out of the store quicker.

So here's my etiquette question -- is it okay to ask to go in front of someone in line or should you wait for it to be offered to you?

6 comments:

Maria said...

Definitely wait to be asked. I had to laugh out loud, though, at your description! Check out lines have the tendency to be very stressful at our stage of life. You could have mentioned the self-check-out to her....but I probably would have done what you did and kindly let her go ahead.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Maria. You should never ask. You could try to look desperate, and maybe even sigh loudly. Then the person in front of you might offer you the chance to cut in front of them.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't ask and can't imagine asking a mother with children to go ahead.

Ada said...

In years past, I would've let a feeble-looking gray-haired old lady go ahead of me anytime, but I've learned that young people don't think that way!

Shelley, I think you were more than gracious in letting that person ahead of you.

Anonymous said...

At Target during lunch a lady with two children (one was about three in the cart and the other in a car seat was a few months old) stopped her cart by a checkout and asked if she could leave the cart there as she'd forgotten her coupons in the car. The cashier said yes, but when the lady started to walk away, the cashier said "You'll have to take your children. I can't watch them for you." It made me think of Shelley's post and etiquette of a different kind.

Eric - Retta said...

No offense Shelley, but I would never have gotten in line behind you. I'd have stood in a line with ladies with no kids and full buggies before I got behind you and the boys. I don't have the patience.

I am proud of how you handle those boys, though......Lord knows I couldn't do it.