Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Memory of Grandma


Okay, this one's going to be long, so either dig in or scroll past!

Tonight I graded a paragraph written by a senior English student in which she wrote extensively of her good relationship with her grandmother. At the bottom I wrote, "You will never regret the time you spend with your grandmother and will always treasure those memories." Which of course got me thinking. . .

I remember very well the year I was 19 and at ISU, and spent most weekends with Grandma K. in her "new" home in Gridley. At the end of the day on Friday, Cathy and I would pack up and head that way, then return to our apartment (607 Hillview, I still remember) on Sunday night or Monday morning. (Thank you again, Cathy, for all those rides!) At the beginning of the year I was a little hesitant, wondering if Grandma would really want company every weekend, but she quickly made it clear that she enjoyed having me come. If there were any remaining doubts, they were squelched the time that I made plans to visit Uncle Chuck Hemmer's family in Peoria one weekend and she said, with even a slight hint of petulance in her voice, "Well I don't know why you'd want to spend a whole weekend in Peoria when you could come here instead!" (Can't you just hear the tone she used?!!)

If there weren't any "young group" activities, she and I would spend the evenings in her den; she would sit in her brown rocker and cross-stitch or tat or work find-a-word puzzles, and we would watch "Lawrence Welk" and other TV programs on Saturday nights. She'd talk about her activities with her friends that week, and I'd tell her about the events at school. Some nights she'd cook a simple meal - I especially remember her cube steak, potatoes, applesauce, and apple pie - or we'd go up to the blacktop and eat at that restaurant that I can't remember the name right now.

That was the year that she had severe problems with hives that would strike various places on her face, neck, and throat, even going to Mayo Clinic to get a diagnosis, and she was afraid about her throat closing up. I remember thinking that it may have been a comfort to her to have someone actually spending the night at her house two or three nights a week, and that thought brought me joy, that I could help her in that way.

During the Thanksgiving holiday I got sick with strep throat and was miserable--it was so bad I couldn't swallow. I remember on Friday of that week she took me to Dr. Helm's office; he diagnosed me and put a little stack of antibiotic tablets in an envelope. She took wonderful care of me that entire weekend.

Perry's or Ada's would stop by after church on Sundays a lot. Angela, Drake, and Jason were elementary-school ages, and Elizabeth and Charity were toddlers.

I remember that Grandma made me feel so special that entire year. You all know the way that she had. One time it hit me that, as nice as she made me feel because I got to stay with her for so many months, she had other ways of making all of her grandchildren feel like they were special. That's why we all have such good memories of her.

Thank you for letting me ramble for awhile tonight!

4 comments:

Nog Blog said...

You went to ISU?? You lived with Cathy?? Where was I when all that was going on..I remember none of that! When I was in high school and college I spent a lot of weekends with Grandma too, but in the big house where Uncle Perry lives. Great memories!

Anonymous said...

After Grandma moved to Skylines Home in Peoria I visited once a week. I could leave after school and spend some time with our great aunt on Mom’s side before she went to supper and then go spend some time with Grandma before she went to supper. It was always so nice to walk into Grandma’s room as she would light up and say, “I was just thinking about you today and wondered if maybe you would visit.” Of course, it made me feel like a million dollars.

Once I was talking with Aunt Alice, I think, and told her about how Grandma made me feel so special always when Aunt Alice kind of started smiling and we both realized that Grandma must have said that to everyone who walked in.

Oh well, her smile still made me feel like a million dollars and I got a chuckle out of it everytime.

Ann said...

Judy - I think you were up in Bradford having kids. :-)

Anonymous said...

I spent the night with Grandma a few times, and always think about it whenever I see commercials for Special K cereal. She always served that for breakfast, as I remember it anyway.

One memory I have of her is when all 3 of us were staying with her. She took us out for ice cream at a little place where Casey's business is now. We each wanted a banana split. She said we should get something smaller or share a banana split, but we begged and promised we could each eat a whole banana split. Sure enough, after we each ate about 3 bites we were full. Boy was she mad! I recall not understanding what the big deal was, but now I realize why she was so upset!

I always liked riding in her car because she had a little hump in the middle of her front seat that she let me sit on. Then she'd turn the air on super high and we'd let it blow right on us.