Sunday, August 17, 2008

He's a good old dad

Just about every day, as a way to tease to Jerry, I say about him, "He's a good old dad." He's really proved the words true now....

We wanted to go boating, but he had to work. He said we could go without him, but I can't back up the truck and trailer. So we convinced him to follow us to the lake, help us put the boat in the water, go to work, and then come back after work to pick us up. Can you believe he agreed to such a thing?

So we loaded everyone up -- all 4 kids, life jackets, coolers of sandwiches and pop, towels, and on and on. Once there, we all got in the boat and unhooked all the stuff that holds the boat on the trailer. As the truck went down the ramp and the boat eased into the water, I reached for the key so I could lower the motor and start it. I was horrified to see that the key was already turned a notch to the right, and had likely been so since we boated last weekend.

Yep, the battery was dead. Too dead to be jumped. So we put everything back together and came back home. Then he went to work, and we swam in our 1-foot pool in the backyard. I'll probably never ask him to do that for me again. He's a good old dad.

3 comments:

Perry said...

I am practicing to leave comments. Indeed Jerry is a good old dad. but would ole be better?

Anonymous said...

No, I literally mean OLD! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed. To be willing to put a boat in the water when you can't go out as well and especially have to go to work is a real act of love and kindness!