Friday, August 8, 2008

APPLEBEES - LIZARD

Those of you who live in the Bloomington area have probably heard about the incident at Applebees - but for those of you from "afar", here it is. Two women were having lunch at the local Applebees yesterday and found a 4-inch dead lizard in their salad. There was an article in today's Pantagraph about this. The health department was called and they state that it appears to just be "one of those extraordinary things that happens"! They did not actually see the lizard because it had been thrown away. We heard from another source that Applebees offered the women $10 for their trauma. They were not happy with that!

What would it take to make YOU happy if you found a dead creature in your salad? Certainly not $10 and certainly not more free meals at Applebees for me. Maybe a gift certificate to the Outback Steakhouse or another restaurant of your choice???

I wonder -- could a "sick" employee thought it would be a funny joke? or the customer's themselves planted it? That's me - always the skeptic!

8 comments:

Ann said...

The fact that the "object" had been "thrown away" makes me think it was a fake incident. And no, $10 would not do if something like that really happened. Yuck!

Nog Blog said...

I had not heard about this problem at my favorite restaurant! Now what do I do? Don't know if I'll ever get the picture out of my mind. Double Yuck!

Today I was waiting for some women at a local restaurant and I could see into a section where a worker was wrapping silverware. Quite interesting to watch him finger through the spoons, pick one out, pick some food off of it, and then wrap it up with the fork and knife in the napkin. It's just better not to know these things.

Anonymous said...

I agree that $10 to the same restaurant wouldn't appease me, but I also know that a restaurant has to be careful in these situations otherwise many people would plant objects and want $100 or so. Unfortunately for Applebee's if the people are found to have planted the lizard, Applebee's takes the hit for the current negative publicity.

So what would it take satisfy me if I found a dead lizard in my food--a lot more than $10.

Alice said...

Now I am going to ask the $64. question. Was the lizard dead or alive???? Triple Yuck!

Ada said...

The lizard was dead. Jerry just called me on his way to the hospital to work. He went by Applebees at 11:45 and said their were 3 cars there. It's usually packed.

Staci said...

Ew! That used to be my favorite restaurant, but they've gone down hill a lot the past few years. I rarely eat there anymore. I'm now a fan of Chili's.

Hopefully I'll forget about this because I almost always order a salad when I go out to eat!

Anonymous said...

If it happened to me, I would never go back. In fact, I still might never to go to Applebee's, whether it's true or not. They will probably end up closing because too many people will think like me. It is a sad world we live in though -- Heather says people make false claims of things in their food all the time jus to get out of paying. Staci -- Maybe you'll see Heather at Chilli's. She works there. And I heard the lizard was in a salad!!

Anonymous said...

Guess I'm the odd ball of the lot. The whole thing sounds unreal to me and it seems to me that Applebees would be extra cautious now and safer than ever. Besides how could a salad preparer not see a lizard unless he/she is blind. Since the lizard was not found, the whole thing sounds made up. By the way, I have an Applebee gift card to share with anyone who will come to Decatur. Better hurry because I have no other supper plans for your Uncle Lynn and me! Aunt Mim