Saturday, July 12, 2008

CLOUDBURST

We had a very heavy rain/wind storm early this morning between 6 and 7. The rain pounding on our windows woke us up. I looked out the window to the north and could barely see the backyard neighbors house. It reminded me of when my dad used to refer to a "cloudburst" of rain - a term one never hears these days. Then I wondered just what term the meteorologists would use today to describe a "cloudburst". We actually only had .5 in showing in our rainguage but I think it was blowing so hard it didn't fill the cup. We saw Casey in his shop and he said we had between 1 and 1.5 in. Nothing compared to "Ioway".

We had breakfast in El Paso this morning since our Green Garden is on vacation for two weeks. Now we're looking forward to Erin Stevig's wedding this afternoon. The reception will be at the Miller Park Pavilion - should be fun.

Yesterday, I had my day with Nathan - with Grandpa's help. I was sitting on the couch when he went to the living room door, turned around, pointed to me and said "going upstairs. you stay here. be right back - be right back" So up he went and came back down about 30 seconds later. I could just picture Ang telling him she was going upstairs and would be right back!

1 comment:

Ann said...

We had a huge thunderstorm on Tuesday. It's just about been our only rain for months, but it was a "cloudburst" as you described it. The ground was white with hailstones for awhile, and we got over 2 inches of rain in an hour.

We were hoping that Hurricane Bertha would come this way, but it's not to be. We're far enough inland that all we ever get is the remnants of a hurricane or tropical storm, not usually wind damage, but that's what we need. Usually we get the remains of gulf hurricanes but sometimes the Atlantic ones.