Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Be Nice?"

I was scrolling back reading some of the previous posts and comments, and came across Ada's explanation of her Walmart shopping experience. I have a tendency to be quickly frustrated with sales clerks in general. I don't know if it's because I don't know these people and think I will probably never see them again or what, but I don't always show my usual restraint and I can get pretty snotty and short with people - which prompts Dave, if he knows I am heading out to do some shopping, to say, "Be nice!" Isn't that awful that he knows somebody might be about to get the bad side of me!

Here's my latest shameful story: I was in line at drive-thru at Steak n Shake and it was taking a looong time. Too long for my patience level, besides the guilt that was building knowing I had no business even buying fast food, again! When I finally get to the window the young gal handed me my sandwich, then turned around and talked, finally handed me some fries, turned around and talked, then finally got around to getting my drink, which she slightly spilled when putting on the lid. By this time, I was getting riled, and I thought, "I'm not taking that sticky glass, I'm going to make her wipe it clean..." Just then she handed it out the window and between her hand and mine, the glass fell straight down to the pavement! Oh, boy! Now just as she was trying to apologize, I said dramatically, "Oh, just forget it!" And I rudely pulled away.

I felt bad about it for days.

By the way, I still choose Walmart.

2 comments:

Ann said...

It seems to be a familial trait. I too absolutely can't stand to wait in lines. . .and find it difficult to admit to a sharp tongue at times. Guess we all show our relationship to Adam in one way or another.

Anonymous said...

To be honest I try to separate if my frustration is the result of the employee or not and my reaction differs based on that. If they do something stupid or rude I don't have a problem asking for a manager; however, if it happens to be a customer service rep who is trying to help solve a problem I usually preface my conversation with something like "I know this isn't your fault. Unfortunately, you are the one I'm talking to and I'm very frustrated by what someone in your company did" or something similar.

I will say that working for 9 months as server in a family steak house helped me react differently when I don't like a shopping experience.