Friday, June 27, 2008

Things I have learned.......

Got this from an Alabama friend who recently relocated to Kentucky.
THINGS I HAVE LEARNED FROM BEING IN ALABAMA ...
> Possums and Armadilos sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.
> There are 5,000 types of snakes on earth and 4,998 live in ALABAMA
> There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in ALABAMA plus a couple no one's seen before.
> If it grows, it sti cks; if it crawls, it bites.
> Onced and Twiced are words.
> It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.
> 'Fixinto' is one word.
> There is no such thing as 'lunch.' There is only dinner and then there is supper.
> Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!
> Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'
> You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.
> You don' t PUSH buttons, you MASH them.
> You measure distance in minutes.
> Sometimes you have to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day.
> Nothin gets done on Saturday afternoons from September to November (SEC football is it)
> 'Fix' is a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store.'
> All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
> You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
> You know what a 'DAWG' is or 'ELEFUNT'
> You carry jumper cables in your car . . . for your OWN car.
> There are only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.
> The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.
> 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm.'
> We have four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.
> Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' Wal-martin' or off to 'Wally World.'
> A cool snap (below 70 degrees) is good pinto-bean weather.
> A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop . . . it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor. Example: 'What kinda coke you want?'
> Fried catfish is the other white meat.
> We don't need no stinking driver's ed . . . if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.
>Dollar General is easier to shop, cause you don't need to get dressed up like when you go to Walmart.

I wonder what the list of "Things I learned by being a Klopfenstein......" could have on it. Thoughts?

EDK

7 comments:

Nog Blog said...

Thought of a couple with little trouble...
1. If you want to insult someone of something, "cull" or "cullish" are perfectly good words.

2. A Christmas party isn't finished until there's been a "program" - mostly a wonderful time to show off your grandchildren.

3. My husband always says, "Oh that's right, you're a Klopfenstein, you don't like to be teased." I do tend to think practical jokes are more mean than funny...is that a Klopfenstein thing??

I may think of some more as the day goes on...it's a good mental exercise.

rk2 said...

I would add

1. "Clear" is an adverb as in "clear good" or "clear ridiculous".

2. A Christmas party isn't complete with singing Babes in the Woods.

Anonymous said...

I'll vouch for the buggy instead of the shopping cart, everything being coke, and the mash a button. I loved the Dollar General comment as well.
--Rhoda

Ada said...

If something is really gross - it is "ecklish" or in the same manner it "eckles" you.

Raising one eyebrow to another person to question the action or words of a third party.

Or how about walking with your feet turned out -- I get a remark on that one all the time - that I walk just like my mom and Alice and now Angela walks just like me!

Ann said...

I LOVE the word "ecklish" but have never heard it except in our family circles. It's perfect to describe some things.

Re the Alabama things: Most of them are true for SC also. One thing--in SC you don't say "iced tea," you just say "sweet tea" or "unsweet tea." Nobody ever serves hot tea here. If somebody says "iced tea" you can tell they're probably from someplace else.

Most are the same but there are some differences too. I'd never heard of "macaroni pie" until moving to SC, which is just baked macaroni and cheese. And BBQ is very different even within regions of SC. In Alabama they serve it over baked potatoes. Here people would laugh if you did that.

Aunt Ada--I never noticed your toes pointing out. I know a lady here whose toes point out so badly you'd never think yours do again!

Ann said...

If a boy and a girl have romantic interests, they are "just dippy" about each other.

This is probably historical only, but I remember it many times from Grandma K.'s house: Klopfensteins eat pretzels and drink Pepsi (preferably from glass bottles) after church on Sundays.

Cathy Toll said...

I was just telling a friend about ecklish and she suggested a Google search. For my entire 53 years, I have lived alone with ecklish when I wasn't with my family of origin. It was the only place I could use the word. Now in seconds, I find others writing about it online. Cool! Those of you who grew up with ecklish like me: Are your ancestral roots in Germany? Do you find any connection to Yiddish? (Other words from the same dialect that I grew up with include: nush -- meaning similar to nosh in Yiddish; also mutsek (sp), kreftik, oppadidalick, tretchik.)