Saturday, June 28, 2008


After reading Aunt Ada's blog about "Her man's still got it" I was unpacking some boxes after our move last month and found these pictures in an old photo album. They're from 1993 when Ada and Jerry visited me in Antigua. Rhoda came later in the week and we all had a great time.

One photo is of Uncle Jerry helping me with a ceiling fan . . . I think it had rusted and we re-painted and he re-hung it (my cathedral ceiling was pretty high!). I really appreciated the help.

This photo brings back memories for us - my 5-speed Daihatsu Charade was having clutch problems and I had a hard time getting up this steep hill. Jerry, Ada, and Rhoda had to get out of the car and walk up the hill! I was so embarrassed! I didn't realize it was that bad until I had 3 extra people in the car. As soon as they left I had it repaired, but we still talk about their having to walk up that hill! Do you notice anything else unusual about the car?.

4 comments:

Eric - Retta said...

Well, its a right hand drive car. Not sure if that's the "difference" you referenced. Sure does take a little getting used to driving on the RH side of the car. At the Mercedes plant here in Alabama, about 25% of the cars built are RH drive. It took me a little while to get used to driving them, especially when we were switching back and forth between a RH and LH drive car during a rattle investigation.

Ada said...

OOOOOOOOO -- I remember him on that ladder. There's not much my man can't do when he sets his mind to it. I also remember the drive up the hill when we kept slipping back down. Fun! It was a wonderful vacation and Mary took us to places on the island that we would've never seen if we had just been on our own. One of the highlights was a baptism in the ocean on Good Friday morning. We were just laying on the beach when the Halleluah/Praising began - remember that, Mary? And of course, the "shell" tradition began in Antigua.

Anonymous said...

I recently told someone about the car sliding back down the hill and the three of us having to walk up the hill. One of us had just joked about, "Wouldn't it be funny if we had to get out of the car and walk up the hill?" About that time the car wasn't going up anymore!

I also remember that loud music all night long on Easter night! There was little if any sleeping that night!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Eric, I did mean that it was a right-hand drive. When I returned to the states it took awhile to remember to approach the left side of the car!

"Easter Monday" is a big holiday in the Caribbean because everyone is celebrating after giving up something for Lent. So the noise on Easter night was just a beginning of the celebration.

Anyway, fun memories. Joey and I went there on our honeymoon and I'm ready to visit again.