Friday, May 30, 2008

A Good Idea

I sent this as an e-mail to several family and friends but didn't have everyone here's e-mail. Someone suggested posting it on the blog.

A woman I work with in our Healthcare division lost her townhouse to fire on Sunday in Duluth, GA. (Mark, this is the lady that took us on a tour of the Healthcare office and Atlanta showroom several years ago.) The pictures are here; hers is the one with the firefighter shooting water in the front door in one picture and the end unit of another picture.

I'm letting you know this because she sent out a warning of making sure that people document their house possessions and keeping the pictures in a firebox. She had pictures on her digital camera, but the camera was lost in the fire. She has spent a great deal of time this week trying to remember what she had in every cabinet, drawer, and room. I'm not sure I would do a very good job of remembering what I had after the trauma of losing literally everything but the clothes I was wearing.

This is an idea I've heard to do and have thought about doing, but it's an easy one to put off because "what are the chances it will happen to me?" I have a new weekend project as I think I'll borrow a DVD camera and make a DVD rather than still pictures.

By the way, for those of us that live in condos or apartments, this fire started with an unattended grill burning all eight units in one structure, jumping to a fence separating that structure from another one and then burning the second structure. Lynn's unit was in the second structure. It's a reminder of how someone else's carelessness can cause us great damage as well.

2 comments:

Ada said...

I've told myself many times during the past years that I'm going to take pictures to verify the contents of our house - but have yet to do it. Maybe one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a good reminder. As a result, I checked and cleaned our 2 fire extinguishers (after trying hard to remember where I keep them). It would be sad to know that a fire could have been prevented.
Cleve