Tuesday, May 6, 2008

GARDENING TIME IS HERE AGAIN

I've been assessing the new flower garden we started last year after pulling out the overgrown bushes. I'm thrilled that the pretty Rose of Sharon is showing a good start as are the double knock-out roses. The boxwood survived the winter and the Minuet Weigela appears to be healthy. In the back, off the deck, we planted a hydrangea, and I'm happy to report that some new leaves are sprouting there.

On the down side, the spirea has no new life and neither does the purple fountain grass. I just looked in my "flower" file and see that I have the receipts so I may try to get new plants as I was assured they were perennials. I've never had much of a "green thumb" and maybe I'm too old to begin now.

Next week, I'll get my annuals and begin planting. Mostly geraniums and petunias which always grow easily for me until last year when the rabbits ate the petunias as fast as I planted. I finally took the stubs that were left in the ground, planted them in pots on the deck, and had beautiful petunias there all summer.

Jerry is working on his water garden now, and I'm going downstairs to make a couple bags. I try to stay out of the sun in the afternoon.

No comments: