Saturday, April 19, 2008

SATURDAY WORK TEAM

I just want to inform you all that our little "work team of two" completed a successful project today. We've had a problem with our kitchen sink leaking into the cupboard underneath for about a month. The first problem we discovered was a small hole in the garbage disposal - so Jerry replaced that. Unfortunately, several days later we discovered there was still more leakage which, upon investigation, we learned was a hole in the hose to the spray thing - which I never use anyway.

So000, Jerry went to Menard's (yes, he is a reinstated customer at Menard's, but that's another story) and got a new faucet. We began the job about 10 am. We have been a good team at these types of projects for over 42 years so I just thought I'd let you - especially the younger couples - know how to complete it successfully without any squables!

First -- let your MAN do the job. Your job is to stay as far away as possible, yet within hearing distance.

Second -- when you hear your name called, jump up and get there as quickly as possible to get the proper tool, hold something tightly, or any other little chore he needs you to do. And be prepared to do this quietly several times throughout the process.

Third -- never even THINK about saying "it would be easier to hire a plumber" (or other appropriate technician). Just keep thinking that the money you're saving will buy you something you really NEED!

Fourth -- when the job is completed successfully, as ours was today, let him know how brilliant he is and he will love you forever.

Like I said, I learned these easy rules years ago -- and while some of you modern wives might think this won't work, trust me, it does! Of course, if you are not "do-it-yourselfers" disregard this information.

Now it's time for a nap!

Ada

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Especially the rules for the wives. I would say they are very accurate and applicable around our house. It is tempting to say...are you sure you know how to do this? Today Brandon is opening our pool for spring....something he just "figured out" how to do rather than call the pool service company. It really is very nice to have a handyman husband! Thanks for the fun story :)

Ada said...

jrqmdJust logged on to see what my wife wrote---Let me tell the men something--you do not SAVE any money when your wife helps---just spent for another cause

jc

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

Boy, Ada, you have got it down pat. I had to learn a few of those lessons the hard way, but life ran more smoothly when I finally did!

He does NOT want you saying "Do you think if you tightened that little thingamabob over there," etc., etc. He wants to hear "I know you can figure it out." And it doesn't matter if a male is a husband, brother, nephew, or a son; age 2, 20, or 200, that's what he wants to hear.

Anonymous said...

I guess I am a "modern" wife, because the steps outlined do not work here. In fact, suggest we call a plumber, I'm ususally tempted to say, "Shouldn't we call dad!"

Anonymous said...

I'd actually like to hear the Reinstated Customer at Menards story.

aaronklop said...

Hilarious! Lots of wisdom in those rules for wives.