Saturday, April 26, 2008

HIGH-TAILING

Jerry and I had to make a quick trip to Bloomington this afternoon. On the way home as we drove through the country, we were stuck behind about 4 cars with a slow-moving truck in the front. Everyone was restless but couldn't risk passing. Finally at a corner, the truck turned and the car behind it turned also and quickly passed the truck. I said to Jerry, "boy, that car really high-tailed it around the truck when they turned." I sat there for a few seconds then laughed and said "where did that phrase come from anyway?" I'm sure I haven't heard it for years, maybe not since my dad might have used it. Anyway, just to make sure, I googled it and my
usage of the term was correct. I think EJ would wonder what in the world does "google" mean??

This is really a "nonsense" post - just excuse it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ada,
Maybe your Dad's use of "high-tailed it" wore off onto you kids...Uncle Lynn's book uses the phrase more than once, I noticed.
I think it refers to a deer running away very fast, lifting it's tail high (also revealing it's white tail, thus: a "white-tailed deer".)
Cleve

Nog Blog said...

Hightailing it is a term I am very familiar with...I'll have to listen to see if it is me saying it...I honestly don't know, just that I hear it often.