Thursday, April 24, 2008

Calling Any Gardeners

Do any of you garden and raise rhubarb? My friend and I have a garden and are trying to grow rhubarb. Before I moved here she put in a plant and picked from it the first year. It produces lots of stalks but they are very spindly and green. My first year I put in two more plants and made sure they did not get picked the first year. This is the fourth year for these plants and while the stalks are much thicker they grow to only 3 or 4 inches. They are red at the base but get green about a third of the way up.

Does anyone know what we should do to get nice rhubarb stalks?

By the way, we are eating asparagus tonight from the garden for the first time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
There is one huge, serious, secret ingredient to produce outstanding rhubarb. Do not be alarmed, but smother it with manure. Sooner the better. You can get bags at any nursery or hardware store, etc. Horsemanure, they say, is the best but any composted manure will work wonders. Literally load it on -- thicker the better so only the top of the plant is emerged. Kathleen and I have raised rhubarb with and without and there is no comparison!
Cleve

Anonymous said...

Cleve,
Interesting you should talk about manure when my friend and I just put quite a bit of cow manure on our garden Tuesday evening. She put some around rhubarb, but it sounds as if we should do more.

What time of year do you put it on?

Thanks for the help!
Rhoda