Thursday, March 20, 2008

Beloved "Aunt Mary" at the Homestead


Here's a lovely picture of one of our favorite "Aunts", Aunt Mary, who lived catty-cornered across the intersection from Grandma & Grandpa for most of her years. She watched over her parents diligently and always had a comment about most any topic.
Anybody know who's bicycle that is or who's Dodge car that is? What year? She passed away in 1989, over 90 years of age. Any insightful comments about your experience(s) with Aunt Mary????

2 comments:

Ada said...

She looks so young and thin in the picture! If the bike is blue, it's mine - can you get it colorized? Look at the porch steps -- remember jumping off those square posts? Many evenings we walked over to Aunt Mary's, sat on her porch and ate popcorn, and usually told the telephone operator to send our phone calls (4-blue) to her house at I think 7-red! although that might have been Margie Kuerth's #, don't remember for sure. At any rate - the original "call-forwarding". One time I remember asking Aunt Mary if she would play the "old maid" card game with me - she laughed and said "I'm old maid enough!" and didn't play!

Ann said...

I remember realizing after her passing that I did not appreciate Aunt Mary and her friendly interest in all the family members nearly enough at the time. I did not know her from the days when she lived in her parents' home, and only remember her house from after her marriage. She made a baby blanket for Andrew, and then we exchanged several letters when I was learning to crochet, where she would share patterns and ideas. Somewhere I have a picture of her holding Andrew, only a couple of months before she passed away, and will post it if it can be found.