Saturday, November 12, 2016

Letter from Aunt Mary

I was looking for an old pattern book this afternoon, one that hasn't been used for probably 25 years, and found this sweet memory.

It's a letter from Aunt Mary.  Apparently I had requested a crochet pattern from her during a visit in early 1988.  Apparently Perry and Carol had a copy machine at home (for the business?) and she asked Carol to copy this pattern for me. You can tell that home copiers in that era were not common, by her comment that Carol "did a wonderful job" making the copy.  :-)

I think it's interesting how productive and artistic the ladies of that generation were.  She had so many projects going at one time. 

You can see her handwriting in the photos, but the letter is hard to read, so I'll type it in first.  Hope you appreciate it as I did.  

Jan 13-1988

My Dear Ann.

It was so good to see you when you were here.

I finally got your copy of the granny squares made.  Carol--Perry's wife--made it for me.  She came yesterday a.m. and picked up my book and brought it back in the afternoon.  She or they have a machine at home.  I think she did a wonderful job - hope you can read it and make your afghan.

If you ever have trouble let me know and I will make you a square.  

I finished the afghan I was working on Sat. eve.  Always glad when they are finished.  Carolyn got my other all white that I had finished last week.  Now I am going to work on my star quilt.  Have it altogether but the border.  Started yesterday.  Hope to finish it today.

Then I have 12 Dresden plate blocks made ready to sew on the white squares.  So I can be busy for awhile.  It's been cold so I don't go out very much.  Try to get to church if it's good underfoot.  Tomorrow I am invited to a luncheon here in town at Katie Meiss and hope to go if I can.

Good luck with all your afghans.

With love
Aunt Mary


1 comment:

clevekath said...

Aunt Mary was a very lovable classic. I well recall when she lived, of course, across the corner from Grandma K. Upon hearing any good juicy church news or anything interesting about others, she would hustle over to Grandma's to share the news. I would hear her exclaim, "Can you IMAGINE??" ...or ..."foreverMORE!!"
She did pay me the most of any of my lawn-mowing customers -- $4.00 for her entire 2-home lot which included sweeping all the sidewalks. But the best payment, afterward, was her free cookies -- as many as I wanted.... I miss her and love thinking about her.