Sunday, May 17, 2015

Birthday dinner

This evening I had my mom & dad for dinner to celebrate Dad's birthday, which happens to be this coming Tuesday.  He had a couple of requests, most of which were low carb due to his diabetes.  He is very careful with his diet & exercise, so his blood sugars are doing great as a result.  So...we had a great meal of broiled top sirloin steaks that I got at Alwan Brothers (very nice local meat market), sauted asparagus with fresh garlic, a low-carb broccoli cheese dish, & a tossed salad with almonds & strawberries.  I reserved the carbs for dessert...homemade butter pecan ice cream!  It was a rare treat that we all thoroughly enjoyed.  It was also a good way to try out the ice cream maker mom handed down to me recently. 
Oh, another thing...I have an automatic iced tea maker & use it a lot in the summer.  Our family likes our tea sweet, so I use only Splenda or Truvia.  I find a lot of people only drink tea unsweetened.  The preference seems to run in families.  I guess it depends how your mom served it?  My Grandma Steffen always served super-super sweet mint tea, with real sugar of course.  She'd serve it in those neat old multicolored aluminum glasses which kept it ice cold.  Yum.
I wonder - how do the rest of you Klopfenstein's take your tea?

7 comments:

rk2 said...

I love a sweet iced tea but don't like the calories of sugar so I go for artificial sweetener. I recently found a Skinny Girl agave sweetener which I like.

When I do order a tea at Chick-Fil-A, I order it "sweet tea with enough unsweetened so I don't feel guilty." That really throws the teenage boys at the counter!

And how nice of you to cook a great meal for your dad! Happy Birthday, Cleve.

LynnK said...

In order to reduce calories, we usually do a "half & half" order or go totally unsweetened.

clevekath said...

Yes, it was a fabulously delicious birthday meal. Thanks Crystal!
Of course, I was very happy to reward her by hanging a wall decoration for her, spraying her hostas with deer repellent, and taking her car in for an oil change tomorrow.

mim said...

Re Cleve's comment: He sure sounds like a good papa. Must be in the genes because I know another good papa,even at the ripe age of an octogenarian.
Re tea: Not fussy as long as the tea is not sugar water.

Ann said...

What a great meal! Happy birthday, Cleve!

On moving to Anderson, even from just up the road in Greenville, it was a surprise to discover just how seriously sweet people here love their tea. A neighbor gave me a glass of tea as we sat on her patio, and it was so sweet I felt like it was drinking syrup. She put two cups of sugar in a gallon of tea!

I make tea using a half cup of sugar and a tablespoon of Sweet and Low per gallon. It works great - it is sweet enough, with just enough sugar to cover up the Sweet and Low taste.

Ann said...

**Previous comment would probably be better stated "It was a surprise to discover just how seriously people here love their sweet tea."

Nog Blog said...

Well, Ann, I'm sure all your neighbors are seriously sweet people, anyway. Ha!

And I am a die-hard Diet Coke fan. Don't mess much with iced tea.