Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Land of the Recliner

Hello extended family - Thought I would give you an update from the land of the recliner.  I've been pretty much off my feet since last Thursday, when a meniscus repair on my right knee landed me here.  It's kinda funny - when you have a lot to do, you'd give anything just to check out for awhile; however, when you are stuck in a recliner, after awhile you feel really guilty for accomplishing next to nothing each day!!  Today was a red-letter day - I did a load of laundry, and walked out to the mailbox and got the mail and newspaper!!  Progress!

This problem had been getting worse for a couple of years, and in China I realized that something would have to be done.  Had it not been for a good brace, the trip would have been much harder.  And thanks to a great orthopedist that we know from church, I have been able to get it done before school starts back in a couple of weeks.

Mary Lee gets into her classroom on Monday.  She is teaching 4th grade at a local elementary school - actually, quite close to our house.  (What do you think - will she drop in for supper very often this next school year?)  She is naturally getting excited - a first teaching job is a big deal for a new college graduate.

I will be giving a presentation on China at my church this coming Sunday night.  Wish some of you could come.  I'm just glad for modern technology where we can share things via blogs, etc.



10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ann, I spent June, July, and August, 1999 in a recliner (24/7) with a pick line in my chest so Ada could give me an IV 3 times a day as a result of infection from hip surgery. The hip had been removed and I was w/o one for those three months. I have told people, there were days I thought I was going to die and days I wished I could! Long summer, I share you pain!

Nog Blog said...

So glad you made it through the China trip with the injured knee. You were very good about not complaining about it...I was shocked to hear you had surgery so soon after being home. Hope it heals quickly for you!

rk2 said...

Glad you are recovering well. Wish I could be there Sunday night.

Ann said...

Jerry, my week of enforced sitting is nothing compared to what you went through. I didn't realize it had been that long ago. Modern medicine is amazing that you could recover from that so completely.

Unknown said...

You are correct Ann, the summer was 2009 NOT 1999!! Just 5 short years ago!

clevekath said...

Hoping you recover very soon! And, yes, the first days of being a rookie teacher can be full of apprehension. You will be a good coach for ML, if needed.

Nog Blog said...

How about streaming your presentation to the internet...or at least videoing it for future cousin viewing?

Ann said...

Judy, it can't be streamed for security reasons. I will see if it can be videos. Thanks for your interest.

Ann said...

*videoed

clevekath said...

Thanks, Nog, for suggesting that we all sometime can view the China trip highlights. I was thinking and hoping the same thing. Preserve it, Ann, for that possibility.