Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Books

Since the move I've been able to read a bit more than in the past. Here are some of the books I've read in the past couple of months:

Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly--I had heard this was better than his Killing Lincoln which I really liked. I gave a copy to each sibling for Christmas and Ann let me borrow hers while Mom and Dad were here. It was a good read and I completed it during their visit. Living in the Dallas area and having visited the Sixth Floor Museum made it even more interesting than my natural interest in the historical event so I really enjoyed it.

Square Foot Gardening--My BSF group gave me this as a going away gift as my backyard is much smaller so I can't do the traditional big garden I've done the last 7-8 years. I'm following it quite closely and have referred back to it several times. In fact, today I'm building trellises for the tomatoes and need to look at keeping out rabbits.

Sum It Up by Pat Summit--I've been a huge fan of Pat Summit, the former coach of the Tennessee Lady Vols basketball team, for 20+ years. In fact I've had the opportunity to meet her several times and even talked with her in her office after a basketball practice session I took a team to watch. About 2 years ago she was diagnosed with early onset dementia. This book chronicles her life including the diagnosis and treatment plans with many comments from family members and former players from her teams. Loved the book!!! My friend Jayne gave me this book as a gift when she came for spring break. She said when she bought it the clerk asked if she'd want a gift receipt. Jayne said no that her friend would never return the book. When the clerk knew it was a gift she asked if Jayne wanted it gift wrapped. Jayne's reply: "No, I haven't read it yet!"

Calico Joe by John Grisham--I love Grisham books. This is a baseball theme which was ok but I prefer his legal books better.

One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp. This was a quite popular book a year or so ago and I'm only now reading it. It's about recognizing the small things in life for which to be thankful. The author has different writing style that I'm not sure I like but I continue reading.

Jesus Calling by Sarah Young--Mom gave me this book when she was here. I'm really enjoying reading the short daily devotional readings.

What are the Klopfensteins reading lately?

8 comments:

Perry said...

Your books sound interesting! Right now I'm about 1/4th the way through Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens. I never knew the book existed but Preston gave it to me for Mother's Day. It's about 800 pages and reminds me a little of Oliver Twist. ----Carol

Perry said...

I am reading a popular book on Calvin Coolidge. I finished the book, "Ike and Dick," and I also like to read in the book entitled,
"50 Great Americans." I finished reading about Gen. Robert E. Lee.
PERRY

rk2 said...

Carol, I have not heard of that Dickens book either. I need to read more classics.
Perry, I too like biography.

clevekath said...

Liked Killing Kennedy. I'm only a non-fiction book reader and not even much of that, overall. Am now reading a true account of a W.War II survivor -- called UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand (received as a gift from Aaron).

rk2 said...

Unbroken is on my list of books to read. I've heard it's really good.

Shelley S said...

I just finished The Duck Commander Family, because my kid are big fans of the show. Right now I'm working on A Walk In The Woods, about walking the Appalachian Trail. My mom has read it before and someone lent it to me. It's a fun read. I'm hoping to have more time to read this summer and have a stack of books I got at the library sale and off of the 'free table'.

Nog Blog said...

Yes, the Appalachian Trail. That book Shelley mentions, A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, has drawn a lot of attention to the trail. And that is what I have been reading. Lots of trail journals at www.trailjournals.com. Dave would tell you I am obsessed with it. Some of you know that we would like to spend some time on the trail some year...as unlikely as that sounds. If it ever happens, I will let you know and you can all see how far we get. Realistically, it could be only days, but we shall see. I've also read "A Country Doctor," a short book by a Dr. Ervin of Fairbury, who practiced there in the 60's. His stories were most interesting.

Tim - Cathy said...

A list of what I've recently read:
*A Pilgrim's Journey, by P.A. Klopfenstein (a must read!!)
*Run Baby Run, by Nicky Cruz
*The Persecutor, by Sergei Kourdakov
Books that are helping me understand Muslims, as I have several new Muslim friends:
*I Dared Call Him Father
*The Torn Veil
*Dreams & Visions
*Prisoners of Hope
*Kabul Beauty School
*Inside the Kingdom (by Carmen Bin Ladin, SIL of the infamous Osama)
I'm currently reading:
*Captive in Iran
Books I want to read soon:
*Boys of '67: Charlie Company's War in Vietnam
*We Hope You Like This Song (written by a woman who lost her lifelong best friend to preeclampsia)

Like Cleve, I mostly read nonfiction. Once I'm done with this list, I'm definitely seeking books on the brighter, lighter side! (This is Cathy, by the way.)