Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Mutual Friend

Dr. Charles Dunn is a native of Bloomington and an ISU graduate, who for many years was a political science professor at Clemson University and whose four children were all in my classes while teaching in Greenville.


Dr. Dunn was also instrumental in my meeting Mike, and in Mike's Christian experience as well, but that's another story for another time.


You can imagine how far my jaw dropped some 29 years ago, when I met Dr. Dunn for the first time, on the sidewalk in front of school, and he said "Klopfenstein. . .Klopfenstein. . .You wouldn't know a Perry Klopfenstein, would you?"  Turns out they were both political science majors at ISU who liked to drink coffee and talk in the student union!

I heard from Dr. Dunn today, but not under the best of circumstances.  His daughter who still lives in this area had a wreck a week ago.  She saw the car coming toward her, raised her hand to honk the horn, when the airbag deployed - and broke every bone in her hand.  She is married with three young children, and is totally unable to care for them right now because her pain is intense and the doctors cannot seem to get it managed.  So the Dunns have come to help, and he sent word with another friend to give us a big hello.  It's been several years since we've had any contact, so that was nice.

I have always thought that the story of the connection between Perry, Dr. Dunn, and me was quite an interesting and unusual link.

5 comments:

Eric - Retta said...

It is a small world. As I travel a lot with my business it is always amazing to me how I see the same people all over the country (were in the same business so that makes sense), but it is even more amazing how often I run into somebody that knows somebody that I know that is totally unrelated to our business. I guess the 7 degrees of separation might be right.

Nog Blog said...

Political Science professor? Yesterday I was at a Mother/Daughter Tea and one of the activities was to write a poem using the letters of MOTHER as the first lines of the poem. Cathy and I got busy working on rhyming words and came up with a simple rhyme in about 5 minutes. The poly-sci professor at our table, sitting with his mother, was still discussing, "Now Mother, what do you see as the concept of this poem, what ideals would you like to impart"...that kind of conversation, and in the end he had not one word written on his sheet. It made me laugh.

Perry said...

Judy, can you post your poem? With you and Cathy working together, I would guess it was really good. ---Carol

Nog Blog said...

We didn't keep it...it wasn't that great, as we were under tremendous pressure. :) It actually was a bit embarrassing because almost everyone else had done a one-word comment for each letter...M-magnificent, O-Ornery, etc. We heard the word "poem and we went for it. We felt a little like the over-achievers of the bunch.

Ann said...

You're Klopfensteins - it was a writing assignment - yes, you would be overachievers!!! Sorry you didn't save it.