Sunday, February 12, 2012

Bruie

Last night I made a birthday dinner for my friend Renae and her parents. Her choice was lasagna so I wanted a salad that wasn't just straight out of a bag. I settled on making bruie from the old Klopfenstein cookbook. Aunt Ada, I looked in the new, and I think it's in there maybe on one of the chapter dividers but didn't see it in the salad section.

I thought these Dutch people should have a good German dish. It is much better on fresh garden lettuce but that wasn't an option when the snow was blowing on February 11!

Everything was a hit. In fact, her mother had seconds on everything.

6 comments:

Ada said...

Sounds like a delicious dinner and I'm glad your guests enjoyed it. I don't know if that brie is listed in the book or not. I tried making it years ago, but it was never any good so I gave up.

rk2 said...

FYI, I was questioned about the spelling if it is bruie or brie. I did go back to the old cookbook to check and it is u with the two dots over it but I couldn't do that on the computer.

Ada said...

I don't know how to spell it - you probably had it right. Either way, I don't know how to make it!

Alice said...

I can well remember making bree for dinner or supper at home. We would have it on garden lettuce, endive and dandelion greens. I'm sure Lynn remembers those full plates of dandelions greens.
Mother sure did work hard. Can you imagine any of us going out to dig dandelions along the road for dinner?

LynnK said...

ooooooooooooo--do I remember? Indeed, very well remember! There is simply nothing better than an ole fashioned plate of dandelion greens with BREE--sour cream dressing made by mother. I still yearn for that treat, fully well realizing that it'll never happen. I will say that Mim comes very close to the real McCoy in sour cream dressing!

I think Alice comes closest in spelling. Rhoda should be given some credit for attempting to create a German "umlaut" which simply does not appear on an English keyboard.

Keep the BLOG hot! I love it!!!

Ada said...

Alice, perhaps you could post the directions for making the bree that Mother made. I'd like try it sometime - not on dandelions though!