Wednesday, May 11, 2011

RECIPE FOR BRIE

Does anyone remember how Mother used to make the brie for lettuce? If you check p.83 in the Klop cookbook, there is a recipe from Aunt Mary. It calls for 2-3 slices of bacon cut up and fried, then add 1 T flour, 1/2 C vinegar and 1/4 C water to the greese. salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Add cream or mayonnaise.

I'm sure this is close to Mother's recipe, but not quite (and I know she never used mayo). Someone (Mim, actually) asked me for her recipe and this is the best I can do but thought maybe someone might still make it. Now, I'm motivated to try it and see what I come up with although I never could make it like Mother.

Just got back from a mile+ walk and am cooling off under the fan as I type this. I think I better get moving earlier in the future to beat the heat. I don't like to sweat!!

1 comment:

Mim said...

Thanks, Ada.

I tried brie again today as best I remembered it. Lynn was kind. I think one doesn't have to have garden lettuce--probably anything but iceberg and even that would work. Guess we like the red leaf or Romine lettuce better.