Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Peter & Sophia's Living Grandchildren

Upon awakening early (very early) recently, a certain thought created a wide awake condition. This thought was that I am the second oldest remaining grandchild among the first cousins of Grandpa and Grandma Klopfenstein. Staggering!!! The following is a list. (Omissions and/or Corrections always welcome!)

Merle W. '25
Lynn K. '30
Alice S. '31
Carolyn S. '33
Nancy D. '35
Perry K. '38
Larry S. '38
Gene K. '41
Jim K. '42
Ada C. '43
Jerry K. '44
Paul K. '47
Jane C. '50

We are the remaining 13 from 33 total grandchildren. Reminds me of the old song, "We are going down the Valley One by One." I reckon READINESS remains the watchword!

2 comments:

rk2 said...

Very interesting. What was the age span from oldest cousing to youngest? Also what is the age span of grandchildren for EJK/Anna?

This kind of reminds me of talking with a couple a few years ago. The husband's aunt had died. He was talking about his family and couldn't name all of his cousins even though there were only about 10 or so! He was shocked I could name all of my Klopfenstein cousins and also I could name most of their children. The generation after that I didn't do quite as well.

Ada said...

Interesting. I do think from time to time about all the cousins and how many there were - and that there are only a few remaining. So many memories of the "good old days".

Seeing Merle's name as the oldest on the remaining list reminded me of a night a couple years ago. We were meeting two other couples for dinner at the Chanticleer in Eureka. As we entered the dining room, I saw that Merle and Pat were sitting at a table with several of their friends. I sort of nodded and waved and walked on back to our table and sat down.

A little while later, someone came up behind me and put his hands over my eyes and said "guess who". I knew immediately it was Merle. He proceeded to lean over, give me a hug and kiss. Then we had a nice little chat. I think my friends - and maybe Jerry - wondered who in the world was this strange man kissing me.