Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snowbound

Well, tomorrow will be Day 3 of being snowbound. At least we haven't lost power. The roads really are bad, and we don't have the snow removal equipment that more northern towns and cities have. A friend with a 4WD vehicle had to go pick up Andrew from the interstate yesterday morning when the quartet bus came through on their way home from Florida, as Mike was at work and I couldn't go anywhere in the van. Mike had to stay with someone from work last night as he couldn't get home. He insisted on coming home tonight (a 45-minute drive that took him two hours yesterday morning) but I am concerned about what it will be like tomorrow morning at 4:30 a.m. when he has to go back, what with low-20s temperatures tonight. I've checked on Mom and Dad every day by phone and they are fine. The kids' return to college has been delayed two days. I've enjoyed the time off but know it won't be so much fun when we have to make up the days later on. I don't know when we've been housebound for this long! You may think that's funny for 6-8 inches of snow, but for us it's a huge deal. And those of you in IL have had a lot of snow this week also, right?

6 comments:

Carol said...

I remember when I grew up in Oregon and snow meant everything came to a screeching halt. They don't have snow removal equipment. They just stay home and wait until it melts. As a child, I loved it! We were always hoping it would snow, but it seldom did. Be careful and stay safe!

Nog Blog said...

I told Dave this morning that the timing has been good. I retire and lose a paycheck... and he gets all kinds of overtime. Good deal for me. For him, long hard nights on the road.

Ann said...

FYI: Mike called at 6:30. He got there fine - said parts of the roads were clear but you never knew when you'd come up on black ice, and there was a lot of it. I'm out of school for the third day.

Ada said...

I used to love the snow days off from school, but three in a row is a little much. Meanwhile, we're enjoy ourselves in Naples - low 60's today and they think it cold!

rk2 said...

This makes two times in two weeks that my family in the south has more snow than I have in my yard in MI.

Alice said...

We have stayed in the past 2 days. We have 5 inches of snow on the ground. Our drive got cleaned off about noon yesterday. We've had the same man the past 2 years.
Yesterday I baked bread and today I made vegetable soup. We had heavenly hash for dessert as I had a little sponge cake left.