Friday, November 19, 2010

Weekend in Michigan

This weekend is the start of the holiday for me in Michigan. The tradition is to go to the craft show at the local high school at 9:00 and then watch the Hudsonville Holiday parade at 10:00. Both are just a block or so from my house. Typical tradition is that I host a pumpkin pancake brunch for friends afterwards, but this year the weekend crept up on me too quickly, plus I want to do it when my Christmas decorations are out this year. In past years some have watched the MI/OH State football game as well, but this year that game is next weekend. 

The pumpkin pancake brunch on MI/OH State game day began when I lived in OH and I would invite MI fans to watch the game at my house. I'm really not a MI fan; I just really don't like OH State. When I moved here the tradition fit in well with the craft sale and parade.

What are your plans for the weekend?

5 comments:

Ada said...

Sounds like you're going to be busy Rhoda. I'm kinda glad I'm not invited to your breakfast, because pumpkin pancakes do not sound good to me.

We are looking forward to a traditional turkey dinner with our family on Thursday, but having a routine week otherwise.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Ann said...

Just made sausage gravy biscuits for "brunch." Going to make some pumpkin bread later, and paint ornaments, and make a pot of chili for a potluck tomorrow. I went to a couple of yard sales this morning. I love quiet autumn weekends.

Cathy said...

Hi everybody!
Tim and I are spending our day listening to some Southern Gospel music while we get organized (have a lot of that to do), clean, and do a little cooking in preparation for Thanksgiving. Tim's family will be coming Thanksgiving Day - 34 adults, 10 kids ages 1 to 7, and 4 infants. Today we're roasting two 22 lb. turkeys! Plan to slice it tomorrow and freeze the meat and reheat on Thursday. It will be a special time to have Tim's family together. His brother, Keith, has not been feeling well for quite some time and was diagnosed with cancer this week. They are coming from Atlanta for Thanksgiving, then he'll have surgery when they return home. A lot of unknowns right now.

We, too, wish you all a blessed Thanksgiving!

Cathy

Alice said...

This morning was beautiful and sunny, so we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast (Pancakes).
We think their's are the best!!
Keith then went to Restmor to see Ken and help in the dining room. I went to a large moving sale on our street. I got some real bargains. This afternoon Keith is finishing raking leaves and I will take a nap.



We are going to Larry's for Thanksgiving dinner. Did you all know that Bonnie is engaged? He is Ben Putnam. He graduated from U of I and is attending a Baptist Seminary in Louisville, Ky. They plan to get married July 30, 2011.
Bonnie is working at OSF in Bloomington and living at home. They are very excited

marym said...

Congratulations to Bonnie! How exciting!

We work on Saturdays so that's been a huge adjustment. Sundays after church service we sometimes go to a coffee shop and read, which is very relaxing. Last week we went to some friends' house for lunch but today don't really have plans.

We can't wait to be home in less than 2 weeks!