Saturday, November 6, 2010

Steffen Update

Since everyone is posting updates, I thought I would include one from our household. Probably the biggest news in our family is... the dog is gone. I'm sure you've all been wondering (ha, ha) since there have been no dog stories lately. He just got too big and turned out to be an 85 pound puppy. He was so excited around the boys that he would knock them over without even trying to. After he knocked down a relative and a preschool teacher who stopped by one afternoon, we decided it was time to let him go. We gave him back to the man we got him from and he is living a wonderful life on a farm in southern Illinois with him mom and his brother. Sam misses him dearly, but I have to admit that my life has gotten a lot easier without the dog around. We have seen a big increase in critters around here (possum, raccoons, and skunks), but that's okay.

I have 3 in school this year, 1 in preschool, and 1 at home. With homework and after school activities it seems we are always busy doing something. I'm in a meal exchange with some girls from church and that has been a huge help. We each make 2 meals x 4 and exchange at Wednesday night church. So twice a month I come home with 8 freezer meals. I'm loving it!

Sam keeps busy at work and his latest project is restoring his grandpa's 1947 pick-up truck. It's been his sanity-keeper lately. The boys are really excited to have it finished so they can "ride in parades and stuff".

Our next big event will be Sam's Mom's wedding in January. Earlier this year she was contacted by a man she knew from childhood, who lost his spouse at around the same time. They began corresponding through mail and phone calls as they shared their mutual grief. We can trully see God's hand in their relationship and it's been a beautiful testimony. It reminds me of Isaiah 61:3 where it talks about beauty for ashes, and the oil of joy for mourning.

Nothing too exciting with me. It seems I'm on the treadmill a lot (literally and figuratively). And in continuing my pursuit of healthy living, I gave up Diet Coke a few months ago. It was a big adjustment but I feel so much better.

That's it for us. I've enjoyed all the updates - keep them coming!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Shelley, congratulations on giving up Diet Coke!! I haven't drank pop (diet or sugary) for a long time. A while back when I tried it again, it didn't make me feel well-- so now I'm glad not to drink it at all.

Ada said...

ha ha - I haven't given your dog even one thought! But I'm sure you're happier without it. The truck is quite an accomplishment. We'll look for it and the boys in next year's parades and will expect some candy from them.

Hard to believe you only have one at home - how time flies. They are all soooo cute and all look alike. You can tell they come from "good stock". Thanks for the family update.

Ann said...

Got a question, Shelley. What in the diet Coke do you think was affecting you - the caffeine? I like an occasional diet caffeine free coke, and I really like diet Sunkist - no calories, no caffeine. Found out the hard way that diet Crush still has some calories. Anyway, do you think it was caffeine, preservatives, or what?

Thanks. Loved the update and the picture of those cute stairstep kids!

Shelley S said...

I think it was definitely the caffeine that I was 'addicted' to, and I also wonder about the aspartame sweetener in it. I think that's what made me crave something sweet all the time. I try to stay away from drinks containing either, but do allow myself one once in awhile -- because you just have to have pop with things like pizza! I have far less head-aches and am not so tired all the time.